Release Gemrb

Dak said:
Hi JurnD,

just wanted to report back on your updated PND.
I copied my freshly installed PST (including all cd1 - cd4 folders) to the SD into a pst folder and started GemRB. Pst opened (although without the credits), the menu screen appeared, I chose to play a new game, created a new character and hit the start button. Unfortunately, this is where the game stops. The upper part of the screen goes blue (in the lower part the little character icon is displayed) and shortly afterwards I'm thrown back to the XFCE desktop.

The installed version on my PC runs flawlessly so I think I can rule out any data corruption. Any suggestion?

Nevertheless, thanks again for the work you put in GemRB. I'll play around with the new version and see if I can get PST to work.

Same thing happening here!
Only difference is that I'm using the DVD version... hm strange. :)
Thanks for all your efforts though! :)
Will try and see if I can get it to run... very strange because the dvd version isnt seperated into different cd folders, so all the files should be in the root folder... hm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nupfi said:
Same thing happening here!
Only difference is that I'm using the DVD version... hm strange. :)
Thanks for all your efforts though! :)
Will try and see if I can get it to run... very strange because the dvd version isnt seperated into different cd folders, so all the files should be in the root folder... hm.

Hi Nupfi,

just have a look at your PST folder. I needed to copy all .bif files directly to the root directory. If I'm not mistaken these are the area files all infinity engine games need. I think GemRB is looking for the relevant .bif file but not able to locate it and thus quits.

JurnD said:
Ok, so the PND has been updated. Planescape works but you have to find out how well it works, according to the creators of GemRB is is not finishable right now. Data locations have been fixed, at least they work for me

Hi JurnD,

PST is working great. So far I have not encountered any problems. Fighting, talking, inventory management...everything works nicely. :)

Concerning my problems with IWD: I was having a quick look at the .cfg files within your PND to check the folder structure needed for IWD.
Just wanted you to know that according to idw.cfg GemRB is saving IWD's savegames in the folder of Baldur's Gate(./bg1). Since I have not yet figured out how to get IWD running I was not able to check if this will cause any problems with BG's savegames.

My problems might indeed be related to the version I own. I have the complete saga of IWD which includes the expansion disk "heart of winter". If I understand correctly GemRB has a specific option for this game which is not yet implemented in your PND?

ps. Already looking forward to your implementation of DJWillis touchscreen sync solution!

**update**

As Nupfi already mentioned there is a widescreen mod for many games running with the infinite engine.
This mod allows these games to be played at previously unsupported resolutions, such as Pandora's 800 x 480. And indeed it works!
So there are no black borders on the left and right of the screen, the whole screen is used and it looks absolutely gorgeous!!! :)

This is what I did (I am a Linux newbie, please be gentle with me, maybe JurnD will pick up this idea and will incorporate it in his PND). The following is just a quick & dirty guide of what I did:
1) On my windows PC I downloaded the mod (Link) and installed it to my PST folder.
2) After executing the mod it wants to know the desired resolution which I set to 800 x 480. The second option refers to the kind of executive one likes to change, either the windows executive or GemRB. Obviously I chose the second one.
3) The mod will now change the resolution of the maps and areas.
4) I copied all files to my SD.
5) I extracted all files JurnD's gemrb061.pnd to /pandora/appdata/gemrb061/ (using this post) and opened the file pst.cfg
6) I simply changed the "Screen width" from 640 to 800.
( 7) As a last step one should repack the gemrb061.pnd. However, I do not know how :rolleyes: . That's why I relied on running the "start.sh" script (same folder) to start Planescape)

Unfortunately the widescreen mod does not work with BG1 and IWD1 without their respective expansion packs.
But maybe JurnD has a few ideas of how to get both games running with their expansions? ;)

JurnD said:
Iwd is supported, i used th cd version so there might be a problem there. Did you put it in /gemrb061/iwd ?

Sorry for creating another post, but finally I got IWD up and running. Since someone else might have the same experiences I had with IWD, my problem was that the Cache folder of IWD contained a subfolder named Data. I just got rid of that subfolder and voila.

Small question: Is it possible to log GemRB`s outputs during start-up? Many problems (just like the one mentioned above or issues related to missing data files) might be easily tracked down by looking at the details GemRB is providing.

if it's writing it's log data to stdout, that can be seen in /tmp/pndrungemrbsomething. Not sure what the exact filename would be, but it'll be something like that.

laurens said:
Did anybody test this yet with GOG's release of IWD, BG, or PST?

If I'm not mistaken GOG only made some modifications to the windows executables, not to the actual data files.
So they should run without any problems. Haven't tested it though.

WizardStan said:
if it's writing it's log data to stdout, that can be seen in /tmp/pndrungemrbsomething. Not sure what the exact filename would be, but it'll be something like that.

Thanks a lot,
indeed it logs under /tmp/pndrungemr61_run.out. If only I'd known that earlier :) This is definetly a good source to inspect if something is not working as it should.

Concerning the widescreen mod:​

Actually it is way more simple than described in my earlier post. There is no need to manually fiddle around with the PND, only the steps 1-4 apply. One just needs to copy the upgraded data files to the SD and start Planescape via gemrb.pnd. Allthough not directly specified in the ini file Planescape is displyed correctly at 800 x 480 and well playable.​

Omg! Widescreen mod working?! So awesome to hear that! Of course my computer has to die (curse you, RAM), so unfortunately I cant take a closer look... <_<
Been wondering: how far is PST playable? Rumors say that it cant be finished at that point. :eek:

Updated to GemRB 0.6.2 on http://dl.openhandhelds.org/
Be patient, it seems to take a while for it to actually get updated there.

I tried to implement DJWillis' code, but i haven't quite figured it out yet. The touchscreen problem has been solved, but I have not been able to get rid of the annoying X cursor. I'm not a coder so much so give me some time to figure it out.
Also very important: Data files now need to go to /pandora/appdata/gemrb/ This because of future updates.

When i have some time i will figure out the cursor and the problem with removing savegames.

Thanks and good luck.

Jurn

I haven't had the chance to give it much love yet, but pst starts, (movie plays after moving all the .bif files to the root), but it's windowed, and I can't find any .cfg's to change that. BTW: I got version 0.62 from dl.openhandhelds.org

Any advice?

Cheers & thanks!

Edit: I did manage to find pst.cfg inside the pnd by mounting it, but it says Fullscreen=1 - but somehow, that doesn't work. Any hints, anybody? If I save this file in pandora/appdata/gemrb, will it take that file instead?

laurens said:
I haven't had the chance to give it much love yet, but pst starts, (movie plays after moving all the .bif files to the root), but it's windowed, and I can't find any .cfg's to change that. BTW: I got version 0.62 from dl.openhandhelds.org

Any advice?

Cheers & thanks!

Edit: I did manage to find pst.cfg inside the pnd by mounting it, but it says Fullscreen=1 - but somehow, that doesn't work. Any hints, anybody? If I save this file in pandora/appdata/gemrb, will it take that file instead?

You can make it fullscreen by pressing "f". I forgot to mention this, sorry about that. I think it has to do with the new version of gemrb.

Jurn

Cool, that worked :) I did do the widescreen mod, steps 1-4, but for me, it's still in 640x480, so I'm guessing since 0.62 I /do/ need to change the cfg for widescreen to work?

laurens said:
Cool, that worked :) I did do the widescreen mod, steps 1-4, but for me, it's still in 640x480, so I'm guessing since 0.62 I /do/ need to change the cfg for widescreen to work?

What files do you need from the gog.com installation of bg1 in order to get it to run on gemrb? I'm trying to get bg1 to on my n900 (don't have my Pandora yet).

So what is the performance and playability status for the different Infinity games on the Pandora?

I see that PST works, in widescreen even, but is it finishable?
Is BG2 performance better now?

Wow, a Gemrb thread, I've been hanging out on the new forums and haven't seen this. I have the BG and BG2 games, I need to install the new Gemrb on my desktop until I get my Pandora.

Anyway, I'll be watching this thread closely, the Infinity games are the ones I'm most excited to play on my Pandora.

Hm, just trying to get BG2 from GOG.com working... I also have that weird blue screen when getting into the game.
Moving all .bif files from data and data/Data into the main directory doesn't work (then the game doesn't even run anymore).

Any ideas here?

This looks Great !! Cannot wait to get my Pandora back to try this out.

Question. Why are some games/emulators etc.. found in the Pandora File Archive and others in the Pandora AppStore ?
Is there any rhyme nor reason to why some are in one location or another ?

Back