Gemini Cosmo - On Indiegogo

There has been a significant update on this. They're doing a press launch party in Tokyo coming up and should be in production in the next couple of weeks.
Code:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cosmo-communicator#/updates/all

Looking forward to this one - and hoping that I can get it to work on Google Fi (Yes, I know, CDMA carrier - but the LTE connection through Fi worked well for data on my Gemini - so here's to hope...)

Yeah, me too, since my Gemini is really worn out.
The hinges have cracked and are barely holding together an the device gets really hot and cold boots if it got no 3G or LTE connection.
I did not drop or abuse it, I just use it very, very much.
The device is not build to last forever but it really made my life easier.
And the Cosmo got all the features I missed in the Gemini.

There are many devs with prototypes out already? Around 15 prototypes are out in the wild, approximately...?

There may be confusion between dev/alpha/early prototypes and the early production/gama/late prototypes for the prototype pre-pre-orders...?

There are many devs with prototypes out already? Around 15 prototypes are out in the wild, approximately...?

You mean the incomplete ones with hardware issues that have been out for more than a year at this point? Yeah I'm aware.

I was referring to the prototype preorders like @Grench. Those were the ones in "testing" and "going out shortly" 9 months ago that still haven't gone out.
[doublepost=1566243152,1566243104][/doublepost]
There may be confusion between dev/alpha/early prototypes and the early production/gama/late prototypes for the prototype pre-pre-orders...?

Exactly. My post 9 months ago and again now is about your prototype.

Pretty sure ED doesn't want to deal with the bureaucracy when Grench complains about the incomplete state of things, he wants him to have a somewhat stable experience without all the hardware nasties.

The units you know about are the ones that have had known issues from production, we're currently heading into mass production now, some places (The Gemini for example) may have more R&D Funding and people to help alleviate the issues we've been experiencing but it's really only ED, Nikolaus and a bunch of volunteers, all with other jobs.

I understand your frustration (9th in the pre-preorder Queue and gone through several "phases of Pyra extremism" but patience is a virtue, we'll see the Pyra in the near future and i'll be thankful extra time has been done in R&D to prevent the thing breaking when it gets to us.

Last edited:
Pretty sure ED doesn't want to deal with the bureaucracy when Grench complains about the incomplete state of things, he wants him to have a somewhat stable experience without all the hardware nasties.

Yes. For the Prototype pre-pre orders it is understood that we will get, 'pre production final quality working hardware samples'. Having the OS and software being a bit dodgy still is part of the deal, but the hardware itself should be near enough to exact production spec. It looks like we're nearly there, maybe. Just time to assemble and test maybe...?

Depends a bit on whether the other prototype orderers are going to hold to special one off case colors. Personally, I am good with the granite grey plastic color from the last case test batch if ED feels they are mechanically sound.

Getting so close... back to waiting.

I'm not sure if ED is waiting for the plastics that include the vents to aerate the heatsink or not. I'd personally consider them potentially quite an important part of the released device, although it's fair to say they don't stop the device running, it just might not run as fast for quite as long, if they have any appreciable effect at all.

There's also some aesthetics he talked about, but unless they're mahoosive ones, I'd have thought that wouldn't stop paid prototypes going out.

Right? He did a whole big picture thing and said they were all assembled.

But still haven't gone out.

Right? He did a whole big picture thing and said they were all assembled.

But still haven't gone out.

You mean those early versions of the cases without properly working shoulder buttons? Yeah, those went to devs working on the drivers and OS I believe. Keep in mind that any project like this has several waves of prototyping. With the Pyra, we simply get insights into that process that we don't see on any other product. If it feels slow, that is because it is and always has been a more or less hobby project done on the side. We all knew this going in.

Cosmo's are in production now.....first batch will ship in about 2 weeks...

Meanwhile, my Gemini works great and looks like new after a year......

But looking forward to seeing my Cosmo by end of September.....

:)

*** And note that today is last day to back Cosmo on IndieGoGo at perk price......

Looks like their first batch has rolled off the assembly line:

https://www.indiegogo .com/projects/cosmo-communicator#/updates/all

My Gemini experience has been pretty poor in terms of quality. The Escape/Power key works unreliably even though I've never dropped it or gotten it wet. It also has a crack on the hinge mechanism since they stupidly made the hinge cover out of plastic instead of metal.

Allegedly, the Cosmo has a better hinge.

(Remove space to make link)

First batch of Cosmos are being shipped to Japan.....

Hopefully, mine will be part of an upcoming batch in the next week or two....

Silicon Valley Digerati
Sorry for the OT. I loathe the word "digerati" being used in singular. It hurts my Latin. That's on you, digital world, not any person in particular

From what I can see, they have the 2nd display and back lit keyboard nailed.

They're shipping now to Japan backers.
Shipping to US non-Verizon model and EU model backers by the end of October (speculation).
Shipping to US Verizon model backers end of first week of November.

Looking forward to getting mine. I have been using my Gemini mostly as a PDA/Netflix/gaming/messaging platform with a Google Fi data only SIM for a long time now. I'm still impressed by it. The Cosmo is going to be a big step up - and from what I'm seeing should be able to be my primary phone. Great work Planet Computers team!

Android sucks :(
But it sucks a fair bit less than any of the alternatives available today.

iOS? Walled garden. No device variety.
Linux? Getting closer, but everything phone related for Linux still feels like proof of concept and alpha release.
Sailfish? Weirdly not available for license to US residents.
Other???

Lucky you, Grench!

Mine still shows as placed......but my number is 36xx......oh well, hopefully, not too much longer....I can really use it now as my mobile phone died a month ago....surviving with my work phone for now....

Lucky you, Grench!

Mine still shows as placed......but my number is 36xx......oh well, hopefully, not too much longer....I can really use it now as my mobile phone died a month ago....surviving with my work phone for now....

UPS says it is on the delivery truck and should be arriving sometime yet today. From what I can tell on OESF, there will likely be hundreds of these being delivered in the US today.

Back