GP2X Gba Emu And Static Translation

Just made a (rather long) post on my blog. May be of interest to programmers, and greek to everyone else. XD

btw I was just being curious about this, is it because of my post that you looked into static translation GBA emu or is that a mere coincidence that I posted and that you got started with that the same day? :)

Hey everybody, I'm alive!! :D After a decade (well, it was a week, but it felt like a decade) of not being able to use a computer, I managed to get access to the lab at my uni. ^_^

btw I was just being curious about this, is it because of my post that you looked into static translation GBA emu or is that a mere coincidence that I posted and that you got started with that the same day?
I was looking into it, and had already started idle implementation (had a look around, messed with the make files, couldn't get it right, got to work on an API-independent 3D game engine), but coincidently it only got serious on that day. The cause being that memory management on my 3D engine had turned into a mess, and a complete redo would probably be necessary. I haven't managed to summon the courage to do all that again. :p

@David: Thanks for the support. :)

Your back! Whats your schedule?
Boredom, sulking, and MTV. The laptop's floppy drive is busted so I can't get my source code on it. Not that it would matter anyway, a 386 running windows 95 is too slow to work on. Dev-C++ takes a REALLY long time to open, and even longer to compile a "hello world" app. -_-
To make things worse, the place I'm living in has 220v power outlets, and I only found out after I had put my batteries to charge. In other words, I now have no charger, all my 10 batteries are dead. ARG.

TKF15H posted on Aug 11 2006 at 03:10 AM said:
Your back! Whats your schedule?
Boredom, sulking, and MTV. The laptop's floppy drive is busted so I can't get my source code on it. Not that it would matter anyway, a 386 running windows 95 is too slow to work on. Dev-C++ takes a REALLY long time to open, and even longer to compile a "hello world" app. -_-
To make things worse, the place I'm living in has 220v power outlets, and I only found out after I had put my batteries to charge. In other words, I now have no charger, all my 10 batteries are dead. ARG.

Damn man, put FreeBSD 5.x on it or something. Windows 95 sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
heh, he wouldn't have these problems if he had a p-p-p-powerbook... google it if you're confused; I'm lazy :)

TKF15H,
when can we see a first beta or alpha public release of what youre doing? There's nothing on sourceforge...
Regards,
bitcoder

well that was pretty right to the point. (allow me to anwser to the best of my knowledge and you can confirm/clarify). He is currently stranded in the middle of nowhere with no computer. so he is stalled. when he is unstalled he has to get the program to use the compiled code he is getting from his recompiler. fix some bugs, fix the bugs that fixing those bugs causes and package it all nice for stupid people like me who dont know how to compile. then its early beta... so anywhere between 1 and 20000000 months. AKA, when he is ready.

TKF15H posted on Aug 15 2006 at 01:58 AM said:
All of it confirmed, thanks kajuberdut!! :)

Ok, we must wait of course. I was just asking because as soon as you can release anything the sooner it will be for us, guys that do the testing, to report things back to you so you can start fixing stuff.
I hope that this will be soon even though it crashes, etc..
Im ansious to know which is the speedup that you introduced doing this
Im also a coder, i just ported OpenSSH (gp2xOpenSSH) and I was looking to see a good GBA emulator running on the gp2x. I even consider looking at the code to try to speed it but then I found out that you were doing that job and doing it in areas that i have no experience, which are the things related to cpu emulation, translation tables,etc..
Keep the good work and please give us some stuff soon ;)
bitcoder

If you want to optimize the code but don't want to get in TKF15H's way or duplicate work, then have a look at the graphics routines, or even better, completely rewrite them :) They are the other major speed problem.

Squidge posted on Aug 15 2006 at 10:31 PM said:
If you want to optimize the code but don't want to get in TKF15H's way or duplicate work, then have a look at the graphics routines, or even better, completely rewrite them :) They are the other major speed problem.

Good idea, I'll see what I can do.
Btw, hows your gp2x emulator doing? Can we expect some alpha release also soon? :D
Thanks.
bitcoder

Back