GP2X Gba Emu And Static Translation

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by A_SN, Jul 6, 2006.

1. wipeout2000

wipeout2000 Member

TKF15H I am glad you decided to take on the challenge. Hopefully your first beta will be impressive enough to gain some good attention. I support your efforts 100%.

2. kajuberdut

kajuberdut Still Fresh

TkFi5h is da bomb! :D

3. TKF15H

TKF15H Member

Hey, while I enjoy the support, wait till I get a release out before saying that. :p

4. TKF15H

TKF15H Member

Daily update:
    arg, 3AM and I can no longer stand looking at opcodes while listening to J-Pop to stay awake. Stopping on line 5419 ( LDRB Rd, [Rn, Rm, LSL #] ), that's 75.22% of the core re-done. Started at around 11PM so that's a good amount of progress, taking into account that I couldn't code all day.

5. icurafu

icurafu The Hallucinogenic Elf

Maybe you should switch to K-Pop for a while.

BTW, great progress. It's all very exciting.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
  6. chipan

chipan Still Fresh

I don't know what can I say...
    Yeah, something like that :)

7. Wolfsclaw

Wolfsclaw can't be longer than 2 months right?

Yep, good luck :)
    Finally someone has taken on the challenge!

8. TKF15H

TKF15H Member

Ok, bad news everyone: Next week I intend to move from one state to another (Rio de Janeiro -> Pernambuco), meaning I may be without access to my computer or an internet connection for an undefined amount of time.
    I was originally planning on moving in August, but due to classes starting in the same month I had to anticipate the trip.

btw, currently on "STMDA Rn, {Rlist}^", 78.38% rewritten.

9. Squidge

Squidge Certified Guru

Once you have done all the instructions, what else is there to do?

10. greenmikey

greenmikey dancin' to the moldies

It says about a page back

11. A_SN

A_SN Member

You'd be a fool to spend time implementing that for such an unsignifying benefit, for you could spend your time and energy doing much more interesting and efficient things

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=423981 :)

12. TKF15H

TKF15H Member

Daily update:
    Stopping on "STMIA Rn, {Rlist}^"... 80% done.
    Had a look through the source code to GPAdvance today... urgh, comments in french!!! >_<

13. kajuberdut

kajuberdut Still Fresh

I shall not wait to say your da bomb untill you have a release because frankly I don't give a darn if its amazing or not. The fact that you are doing it, when the comunity has been (through lack of knowledge im sure) so lukewarm on GBA emulation is great. i love the GBA, and i think your amazing for giving it a go.

14. paxl13

paxl13 Member

Great Works TKF15H

Thank you for your time,
    I expect to see if we will be able
    to get somewhat fullspeed sometime [ by
    this I mean >25 fps ]

Keep on your good works.

paxl13

15. A_SN

A_SN Member

I'm currently translating (I'm french), I'll send you the whole translated source once I'm done

16. TKF15H

TKF15H Member

whoa, it was just a curious looksie, no need to go through all that work right now. o_O

17. A_SN

A_SN Member

lol, oops, too late :) i was bored anyways

then i'm stopping, here's what i've done so far http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...35aa30a5e6f4c7d

18. TKF15H

TKF15H Member

A_SN: Wow, you translated all those that quickly? I was having a look at the MMU section, as it may be of use in the future, if things get so desperate that I have to use the GP2X MMU to emulate the GBA's rather than doing it in software.

Daily update:

Around 6 o'clock this afternoon I finished re-writing all the opcodes. Full of joy I ran make and copied the executable to my GP2X. Open PuTTY. Kill the evil menu! cd to the Illex folder. Typed in "illexboyadvance.gpe needforspeed.gba". Deap breath. Pressed enter. Waited a bit....

SEGMENTATION FAULT.

*silence*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 rechargable batteries later, after much cursing at GDB, I slapped my forehead because of how silly the mistake was. Fixed it, ran it, and as expected, the game ran a bit more slowly than it would on the interpretor alone. Now it's getting the code it's supposed to run and chucking it in a buffer so as to throw it out to a C file. It doesn't actually record the data though.

While this may look like an odd step in the opposite direction, it is the biggest part of recompiling GBA code. This done, I have to come up with an efficient way to dump the output buffer to a file, ignoring what has been output already. This will make the interpretor a bit faster when it runs code it has already been over once, but really slow on the first time.

Next stop: BED!!! -_-

19. Yono

Yono Member

Congrats! Enjoy your well-deserved sleep.

20. A_SN

A_SN Member

lol yeah you know translating that kind of stuff is quick. but by the time i had your message I was getting tired of it anyways :)

So let's see if I got it right, so far you don't output the C code and recompile it, but you store in the RAM the translated code to use it again later so you can test how your translation works without messing with the recompilation yet?

btw if there's some file I haven't translated that you'd want to have a look at, just ask away, translating each files takes me up to 5 minutes or so for the longest ones (the joys of being perfectly fluent ;) )