Gamestop closing 120 Gamestops to focus on tablets/phones

They are greedy and unproductive for the games industry anyways. No real loss.

I hate that everything in their shops is geared towards manipulating the customer.

Artificially high prices for games that have strong sales, pushing secondhand games which are only a fiver less than a new one.

The worst practice is selling insurance for game discs. Its guaranteed for a year. In reality they know the numbers and sales data.

Most new games will be traded back in, withing perhaps 1 or 2 months, then gamestop sell another customer insurance on the very same disc.

I wonder how many times they sell insurance for the same discs?

Manipulation of user data/customer habits is vile.

Meh, just buy your games online. Do we really need bricks and mortar for games any more?
Yes. I don't need GameStop, but I need the ability to buy my stuff on CDs/DVDs to use it even in 20 years, when steam went bust and I lost all my data twice and I just insert the Laserdisc to play some good old games. ;)

Meh, just buy your games online. Do we really need bricks and mortar for games any more?
Yes we do. like the guy in the video i do like to hold the actual cartridge,CD,DVD whatever. Not every country has high speed internet and uncapped plans.

In australia it is very UNCOMMON to have an uncapped plan so digital downloads would take up a significant part of a monthly allowance.

also i can not afford to buy every game i want NEW. i have to be patient and go to EB Games and other stores like them and get the game sometimes 6 to 12 months after release.

I know there is GOG but there is a gap between what they sell and the new stuff. and then its back to download limits again.

If it wasnt for secondhand game stores i would only have 1/10 of the games i do/have played and im not talking of only PC games but my PS1 & PS2 collections and the PS3 games i have which by the way cannot be digitally downloaded except by illegal torrents.

FWIW, I wasn't talking about streaming. You don't need to try on games and CDs, so getting it through the post a few days later without having to drive to the shops for less money is a good deal for me.

Product descriptions in online shops are often woefully incomplete, contradictory, misleading, and/or wrong. While browsing on Amazon, more than once I really could not figure out whether the offered product was a DVD or a BlueRay (don't have a player), whether the Game was the PS 3 or the XBox 360 version, or whether it was the sheet music I was searching for a CD containing that piece of music. Searching online for a Mini-A adapter was also very frustrating, even after knowing exactly what I was looking for (from the pictures on the Pandora wiki). If a product is common enough that there is a good chance for it to be available in a non-virtual shop I'm looking there first (the city centre is only a 10 minute bicycle ride away after all).

I also like to have physical media on my shelves though I don't like handling them and actually rip them right away (if possible).

Yeah, I just did a search for pozidriv precision screwdrivers on Amazon, and it gave me loads of results for phillips screwdrivers. And don't get me started on how they can screw up 'sort prices low -> high' so badly.

But in general, referring to games and video discs, the Amazon categorisation system combined with the picture and description is usually enough to work out what platform it's for.

Yes, I agree. It is uncommon that they manage to leave out the basic information (the product descriptions in question were devoid of most any useful info). I guess they automatically create/import most of them.

Yeah probably. Most of the unlabelled stuff I find it marketplace stuff which probably got entered by some mom and dad in a barn in Utah, and is usually a duplicate of something better labelled (and more expensive) elsewhere.

Back