Gamescom 2018

TeDaDeS

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
Gamescom 2018 will be held this week, starting tomorrow (21Aug).
You can read about the previous Gamescom (2017) here: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/gamescom-2017.81255/

Evil Dragon will be there and other forum members to.
Obviously the Pyra will be there and other devices like GPD-Win.

If you attend you can post your Gamescom pics/videos over here.

I'll be there tomorrow, so if you are there to I'll see you at ED's booth.

Remember, the opening ceremony at 1100 Gamescom time will be livestreamed worldwide and have a few game announcements.

Also, Microsoft will be having a livestreamed event where they promise to showcase "new hardware". Not sure if that's just another Xbox One model or something new entirely, but I'll check it out online.

Hopefully not a new XBOX, as i bought my ONE X some Months ago,
But a XBOX Handheld would be cool, like the PSVITA but whit much more Power and it will a Success (unlike the VITA)..

It wasn't a lack of power that made the Vita a failure. As far as I can tell, it was a much more capable handheld than the 3DS is. Sony have the fanbase that will spend hundreds of pounds on a playstation and then spend hours each night in front of it, but Nintendo's fanbase consists of slightly older people who are money rich but time poor, so only actually get about half an hour a day to play on the train or what have you, plus the schoolkids who've always played gameboy.

That said, I'm a bit mystified as to what the 3DS's big selling point was. For the original DS (lite) is was always thought to be that brain training game, which was mahoosive for a summer or two. Between that and people hankering for a (n actually poor remake of) the classics with the new super mario games, the DS broke all records for a little while there as I remember.

The 3DS has had some games I've enjoyed, but I couldn't place what's been the big cross-generational seller this time round. Perhaps I just don't care enough any more, and not taking the tube regularly, don't see the adverts any more. And why the original GBA wasn't the same kind of a cross-generational hit when it felt to me like a SNES in your pocket baffles me too.

Hi all,here first Photos from the Gamescom 2018 from Markus :)
photo_2018-08-21_11-10-36 (2).jpg photo_2018-08-21_11-10-36.jpg photo_2018-08-21_11-10-37 (2).jpg photo_2018-08-21_11-10-37 (3).jpg photo_2018-08-21_11-10-37 (4).jpg photo_2018-08-21_11-10-37 (5).jpg photo_2018-08-21_11-10-37 (6).jpg photo_2018-08-21_11-10-37.jpg

yeah Thanks @ingoreis for posting the pics also here on the board.
This time the unofficial dragonbox Pyra Telegram channel got a premiere.:cool:

I really am looking forward to that backlit keyboard.
I'm typing on a Gemini and (for me) the missing backlight is one of the biggest flaws of the device (in close proximity to the awful space bar).
Except from that, the Gemini is awesome.
But please people, do not derail this thread because of my post about the Gemini and its keyboard.

What`s that stylish black case? First case color confirmed?!

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Interesting that the Pyra and the Gemini are the only two things not strapped down using kensington locks. I guess neither of those are going to be sitting on the table unsupervised once this place is open to the general public.

The back of that black Pyra looks a bit rough and ready, but I'm not sure how recent these case plastic are. I'm sure it will do the job though.

If someone can run an 'lscpu' in a terminal window, we can see how fast the CPU's actually running and what it's rated top speed is. Similarly, 'free -h' will show you the memory in the unit.

What`s that stylish black case? First case color confirmed?!
No, this is the old case. The transparent one is the latest.

Interesting that the Pyra and the Gemini are the only two things not strapped down using kensington locks.
If someone can run an 'lscpu' in a terminal window, we can see how fast the CPU's actually running and what it's rated top speed is. Similarly, 'free -h' will show you the memory in the unit.
The Pyra and Gemini are in use by Pyra 'staff' and I assume that's why they aren't locked. The Pyra is actually one of the prototype units that's in personal use, and isn't a unit with a new board.

Some pics:
Pyra.jpg Relaxing_ED.jpg The_Family.jpg
In the family picture: ptitSeb's GigaHertz Pandora (top left), Askarus' Pyra, GPD Win2, My CC-Pandora, Planet Computers Gemini (top right).

Last edited:
Awesome, someone's built Hydra Castle Labyrinth!

Edit: I think ED said he had some 4GB boards with him, and perhaps he has some new case plastics and everything else such that he can build new units while he's there.

Edit2: I guess that someone is Askarus :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
ED quickly assembled a unit for us (new clear case and a board) but it was just for show (missing screws and all). I guess he might complete this later at Gamescom.
I actually didn't take a picture as I was holding the Pyra with both hands. It looks very good, the previous black case had marks in it but this case was just clear sturdy plastic. It also had the Pyra logo in the lid, pretty sweet.

More pics:
GPD-Win2, Pyra and GPD-Win2 side view

GPDWIN2.jpg Pyra_GPDWIN2.jpg

More pics, from DragonBox booth:
booth1.jpg booth2.jpg booth3.jpg

Even more pics, this time Arduboy.
In case you don't know Arduboy, it's a tiny handheld packing a 16MHz CPU, 128x64 OLED screen, 180mAh battery (~8hours gaming): https://arduboy.com/
The family picture also shows a Pandora (1GHz) and GPD-XD (Android).
(not on any of my pics: GPD-Pocket, it was in use when I was there)
Arduboy_Flyer.jpg Arduboy_Closeup.jpg RetroFamily.jpg

Last edited:
Woohoo! Pics and it did happen!

Very nice fotos. I hope there will be a video coming.
I wish you guys a lot of fun on the gamescom.
:D

Pretty cool Pictures, indeed,
Cologne is much nearer on my place than Ingolstadt, which is about the other side of germany..
but i never found the time to visit the gamescom, also its still 280 km far away..
Im also looking forward for some videos,
Sadly the German News never shows more impressions on the Retro Area,
there was a little take on the Gamescom yesterday on the news, they showed some footage on a VR Stool, and one of these awefull Battle Royale Games (Fortnight or PUBG),
But nothing about this German Guy from Ingolstadt who probatly made the coolest Mini Linux PC

Back