games you cant live without

Hah. That just makes me feel a bit queasy. :p What worries people is the notion of a "dark and gritty" reboot that would abandon everything we like about the series.

If you haven't heard of Bomberman: Act Zero (and I'm frequently surprised by how many people don't know about it), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEKmgPLqD1Q. Even though it looks like a parody made by people who have become cynical about "dark and gritty" reboots of beloved franchises, this is actually a real game. It really exists. You can really buy it. And this is what they tried to reboot Bomberman into.
Ok, not going to lie, if it weren't a Bomberman game, if they'd tried making an original game instead of shoehorning an old classic into their brand new mould, I think it could be a pretty fun game. There's a lot of things that are like that, games, movies, and books, where they should be able to stand on their own but for some reason the producers tack on some existing IP.

^ That's precisely it. No-one would've minded it at all if they hadn't tried to say it was Bomberman. :lol:

Whilst the core of it does echo the proper Bomberman games, it does add some things that would perhaps be out of place in a Bomberman game (for example, the first-person stuff). Even with the Bomberman-esque parts that are present, people would have seen it was from the same developer and had more respect for them not trying to reboot it into, well, that. :p

There are no games I can't live without. Games are just entertainment when I'm playing them. If they're gone, I'll just find another source of entertainment. Though if a game suddenly disappeared, I would be sad, and I would be more sad if I was involved in the development of the game. But that doesn't stop me from living. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit, I celebrated. :p

It was going to damage the series terribly (just look at how it was disrespecting the mythos, and was solely aimed at immature grown men who never learned to treat their possessions with respect - indeed, the latter was outright admitted by Capcom, and disrespecting your mythos is one thing you NEVER do with a franchise that has one, because the audience will notice and it will damage your brand; Quite apart from that, it was on hardware where the audience for it wasn't anyway, which is a mistake Capcom has made before and been met with poor sales for as a result), and they did the right thing by cancelling it.

I must admit, I celebrated. :p

It was going to damage the series terribly (just look at how it was disrespecting the mythos, and was solely aimed at immature grown men who never learned to treat their possessions with respect - indeed, the latter was outright admitted by Capcom, and disrespecting your mythos is one thing you NEVER do with a franchise that has one, because the audience will notice and it will damage your brand; Quite apart from that, it was on hardware where the audience for it wasn't anyway, which is a mistake Capcom has made before and been met with poor sales for as a result), and they did the right thing by cancelling it.

Well you are right in the fact that it would have ruined the series mythos, but didnt battle network already kind of do that? dont get me wrong i do like the battle network series but its just not rockman. and im a longtime capcom fan, and the idea of a game in megaman style where he could become ryu! thats just a childhood dream right there :wub:

I had no idea they'd Batman'd Bomberman, that was just the silliest thing I've seen for a while.

It's the endless drive to keep up with the perception of teenage boy's idea of cool I think. It's understandable for drivel like Halo and Gears of war, because those have always been teenage wet dreams, it's just embarrassing when they do it to things like Bomberman. What next, Hello Kitty: The Bitch is back (15 - contains partial nudity and scenes of a sexual nature)?

It's a sad fact that a lot of games companies will turn their back on a well loved original, or franchise, by trying to make it appeal to the lowest common denominator in an effort to maximise their profits, rather than just having faith in the strength of the original as it is. I expect a lot of market research is undertaken and all the wrong people are asked, and none of the original team are brought in to make it, and we end up with something smelly. Ironically all of these efforts to make something with a cult following appeal to the masses usually ends up utterly mediocre and consigned to the bargain bin within months of release, meanwhile a lot of loyal fans are left with a feeling of having been swiftly kicked in the ghoulies.

I need the c64, the amiga, smb3, smb world, maniac mansion, monkey island 2, chrono trigger, final fantssy 9. fallout 1,2,3 and new vegas,

I wish there was a way to play fallout 1 and 2 on the pandora that would be greate :)

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Well you are right in the fact that it would have ruined the series mythos, but didnt battle network already kind of do that? dont get me wrong i do like the battle network series but its just not rockman. and im a longtime capcom fan, and the idea of a game in megaman style where he could become ryu! thats just a childhood dream right there :wub:
No, Battle Network didn't do that at all - it was always outright stated that it's part of an entirely different continuity. :p (For the uninitiated who probably have no clue what we're on about here, there are two continuities in the series. The main continuity is based around robots and currently goes Classic > X > Zero > ZX > Legends, whilst the alternate continuity is based in a world where networking technology took precedence instead, and goes Battle Network > Star Force.)

It's a completely different case to what Universe was doing, which was, frankly, crapping on having a mythos at all. :p

it's just embarrassing when they do it to things like Bomberman. What next, Hello Kitty: The Bitch is back (15 - contains partial nudity and scenes of a sexual nature)?
Actually................................... Wait for it.............................

Capcom and Sanrio are producing "Hello Kitty X Street Fighter" merchandise next year. I'm sorry to have to deliver this news...

It's a sad fact that a lot of games companies will turn their back on a well loved original, or franchise, by trying to make it appeal to the lowest common denominator in an effort to maximise their profits, rather than just having faith in the strength of the original as it is.
I saw a good video that took a look at that "lowest common denominator" thing to a degree, just yesterday. It basically compares the design of a couple of Mega Man games, to modern titles, and examines where approach of the modern titles fails whilst the Mega Man one succeeds. It's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM. It's almost 20 minutes long, and well worth taking the time to watch if you're even remotely interested in good game design. Note for those viewing at their workplaces: There is some NSFW language. :p

I expect a lot of market research is undertaken and all the wrong people are asked, and none of the original team are brought in to make it, and we end up with something smelly.
Two words sum up half of this problem: Focus groups.

Ironically all of these efforts to make something with a cult following appeal to the masses usually ends up utterly mediocre and consigned to the bargain bin within months of release, meanwhile a lot of loyal fans are left with a feeling of having been swiftly kicked in the ghoulies.
Sadly, sometimes things that have a cult following end up consigned to the bargain-bin, too, when the people behind them fail to bother telling anyone that they even exist. :(

Arkanoid for me, its one of my all time favs.

I need at least some sort of clone of it anyway, breakout or whatever, just some form of brick breaker.

when i first got my iphone, i was all over that app store and must have downloaded dozens of those type games, many of which were really good too!

a world without brick breaking is not worth having

@Prometheus: battle network may be a part of alternate continuity but it exists along the lines of the megaman universe. therefore it should have something more in common with the classics than just the namesake of the primary character. i mean come on "megaman.exe"

I'm no fan of the alternate continuity, but there's plenty more it has in common than that. :p

Incidentally, I find it interesting how recently, the two continuities have come to be termed by some as the "robots continuity" and the "internet continuity". :lol: But now I'm way off-track - my apologies.

To try to rectify that, I should mention that I forgot a couple of games-that-I-can't-live-without, before. Namely, Ms. Pac-Man, and Mappy. They are rather brilliant. :p

@johnnyfamiliar

@prometheus

Maybe ye already know this but megaman is a playable character in cannonspike on the dreamcast.Its a very fun cartoony shootem up/melee combat game. Arthur from ghouls and ghosts and other capcom characters are playable too.Its well worth playing. Mega man and Arthur were the best characters to play with.

@wrath of kahn: thanks actually i didnt know that game existed but i will have to hunt it down and play it.

and on another note i cant live without the first sonic the hedgehog and links awakening

+1 to Link's Awakening.

Best Zelda game I've played. Made me cry too... *sniff* =ó. Ò =

I knew everything about that game... I even hand drew a map book of the 'unreachable places' by using the start/select bug to jump through walls.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Back