Games With Tv Resolution Option(?)

Sonic-NKT posted on Oct 20 2005 at 11:21 AM said:
why not use higher resolutions on tv, for example several apps have to be scaled down to fit on a QVGA screen (Atari ST, CPS2, SDL Games..) so why dont have them in full view on tv too.

I think playing games in teh TV would be cool. I'd offer it on all my games, just to give me an incentive to optimise. What kind of res should we be supporting?

What resolutions are supported on TV-Out anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Max res is 1024x768. That is said in several places. But that doesn't mean that every game ran at that res would run fast enough. So you'd have to see what works the best.

Blah posted on Oct 20 2005 at 12:43 PM said:
Max res is 1024x768. That is said in several places. But that doesn't mean that every game ran at that res would run fast enough. So you'd have to see what works the best.

But I imagine there would be a set of TV resolutions controlled by a driver.

Like 640x480 and 800x600 for PAL and NTSC.

Not just the highest possible resolution.

hey...can't you display a 320x240 resolution image/video/whatever on 480i screen like a tv w/o any issues?

Jengo posted on Oct 19 2005 at 08:35 PM said:
dont make retarded assumptions. i hate ignorance. YOU are the one that doesnt know.

Why do you think when you play games at higher resolutions on your PC it is more demanding on the processor/vid card? For many reasons. not only that but it also uses more RAM. The biggest reason why this is more demmanding on ram/cpu is because with higher resolution more stuff has to be shown on the screen at once making the CPU work more and take up more ram with the "extra stuff"

dont make dumbass assumptions telling someone "they dont know" just because you have a smart ass hunch...

i was stating facts, the unit has the capability to render at 640x480 and auto scale down to 320x240 without much overhead... so if your game can render at 640x480 without being too slow then it is perfectly possible to scale for the screen and in TV mode not scale and output at 640x480...

so umm... dont make retarded insults, and read the docs

and why would higher resolution mean more stuff is shown? if it was a simple 2D game you could just want to use higher resolution images to show the same content but which will look much nicer on a TV... your obviously making assumptions as to what games and such will want to do this...

I suggest you grow up and not jump into insulting people like a little kid, and if you are a little kid then realise your in an more adult scene so perhaps time you started to mature a little?

junker posted on Oct 20 2005 at 03:55 AM said:
hey...can't you display a 320x240 resolution image/video/whatever on 480i screen like a tv w/o any issues?

Sure you can, the gp2x does this automatically for you.

But the point is that you CAN use higher resolution for games IF you play them on TV.

i.e. have 320x240 resolution while playing on LCD, but optimized 720x576 (PAL) or 720x486 (NTSC) when playing on TV (not just upscaled, but hires sprites!)

Last edited:
Back