Games With Tv Resolution Option(?)

jimb

Still Fresh
Since the GP2X has TVOut as standard wouldn't it be nice to have an option to play a GP2X game in a higer resolution!
So, instead of 320x240 you could choose say, 640x480 and thus play the game in hi-res mode for the telly.

jimb posted on Oct 19 2005 at 07:55 PM said:
Since the GP2X has TVOut as standard wouldn't it be nice to have an option to play a GP2X game in a higer resolution!
So, instead of 320x240 you could choose say, 640x480 and thus play the game in hi-res mode for the telly.

dont bet on it... For many reasons. im just to lazy to state why...

Last edited by a moderator:
And that's not a definitive no. Depends on the coder. Say, a Tetris-clone could very well have a tv-mode, as it would not take much more mhz or RAM.

We shall see.

Jengo posted on Oct 19 2005 at 07:58 PM said:

like you don't know why? ;)

as far as I'm aware it's quite possible, its a hardware function on the 2D acceleration and if you simply render the entire game at 640x480 anyways and use the auto scaleing to scale down by a factor of two for the GP2X or not for TV out then it'd be very minimal code :)

All depends on what you plan to do, and how intensive it is... if its going to stress the CPU tons at 320x240 then obviously rendering at a high res will be more strain with bigger bitmaps etc...

I read the specs as:

* will convert higher resolution video down to 320x240 to play on screen. So no need to reencode videos.
* TV out will still be 320x240

Perhaps I am wrong, but I can't see the resolution being higher on a TV than the built-in screen.

* TV out will still be 320x240
Thats worrying. Not so much for playing games but what about a movie which is say, 720x480?
Would that get scaled to 320x240 for TV-Out?

xafier posted on Oct 19 2005 at 08:18 PM said:
Jengo posted on Oct 19 2005 at 07:58 PM said:

like you don't know why? ;)

as far as I'm aware it's quite possible, its a hardware function on the 2D acceleration and if you simply render the entire game at 640x480 anyways and use the auto scaleing to scale down by a factor of two for the GP2X or not for TV out then it'd be very minimal code :)

All depends on what you plan to do, and how intensive it is... if its going to stress the CPU tons at 320x240 then obviously rendering at a high res will be more strain with bigger bitmaps etc...

dont make retarded assumptions. i hate ignorance. YOU are the one that doesnt know.

Why do you think when you play games at higher resolutions on your PC it is more demanding on the processor/vid card? For many reasons. not only that but it also uses more RAM. The biggest reason why this is more demmanding on ram/cpu is because with higher resolution more stuff has to be shown on the screen at once making the CPU work more and take up more ram with the "extra stuff"

dont make dumbass assumptions telling someone "they dont know" just because you have a smart ass hunch...

And yet, I'm sure a homebrew Liero-type game could very well have 640x480 tv-out, as could an emulator for NES, or SMS. Reesy's DrSMS runs on... well under 100mhz, oversimplifying, I know, but 200Mhz could run double it's resolution easily.
(Of course, there's no point in running native <320x240 in higher res, and if there is, HW rescaling should be sufficient.)

The GP2X is using the Conexant CX25874 which supports resolutions 320 x 200 to 1024 x 768. So I don't see why it wouldn't be able to show higher res than 320x240.

Conexant CX25874

Hey,sorry for my ignorance, but what is the native resolution of a regular TV like the ones from Walmart? You know the cheap ones with a curved picture tube that's not hi res or anything like that. Thanks.

Eolair posted on Oct 19 2005 at 08:57 PM said:
The GP2X is using the Conexant CX25874 which supports resolutions 320 x 200 to 1024 x 768. So I don't see why it wouldn't be able to show higher res than 320x240.

Conexant CX25874

yes, it probably wouldnt have problem displaying higher resolutions, BUT (this is for emulation) getting emulators to work at that high of resolution is going to be very difficult (at least for the more graphical intensive ones)

but for Movies, there is a pretty big possiblity that it can happen. Depending on what resources are already in use for standard playback (on the built in screen)

Craig already confirmed high-res TV-Out with the included movie player. To my understanding, a "TV mode" that would adapt for high-res situations (Seiken Densetsu 3 menus, Sonic 2 2P mode, CPS emulation, etc.) would be possible - and useful. Nevermind something like, oh, full-res Noiz2sa...

Jengo posted on Oct 19 2005 at 03:40 PM said:
Eolair posted on Oct 19 2005 at 08:57 PM said:

Conexant  CX25874

yes, it probably wouldnt have problem displaying higher resolutions, BUT (this is for emulation) getting emulators to work at that high of resolution is going to be very difficult (at least for the more graphical intensive ones)

but for Movies, there is a pretty big possiblity that it can happen. Depending on what resources are already in use for standard playback (on the built in screen)

Wow are you the jumpy one. Well there would be no reason for emulation to be at 640x480 because most systems (NES, SNES, Genisis, Atari, Neo Geo, Mame, ect.) don't go that high. So you would simply just play them at their native resolutions.
As far as homebrew goes I am sure it would be easy to make a game that plays at 640x480 (2d of course), with out much taxing on the processor at all. Plus there is a whole 64mb of ram so sprites/textures will not be a problem at all.

Why even post if all you say is "no, I am to lazy to tell you anything". Don't throw in your two cents if they are candian pennys.

PS. Sorry if this seems a little harsh, you just came off really negative to me.

lucoxade posted on Oct 20 2005 at 12:16 AM said:
Craig also confirms 3d content in that post

And...?
3D Content doesn't mean 3D Hardware.
Quake and Duke3D have already been ported to the gp2x, and both have 3D Content..

Last edited:
why not use higher resolutions on tv, for example several apps have to be scaled down to fit on a QVGA screen (Atari ST, CPS2, SDL Games..) so why dont have them in full view on tv too.

Back