Games with outstanding stories

Even though i didn't play it (and cannot advise to do so) I will throw in the game "Pathologic". It has a great story, which will be presented very differently depending which of the three characters you play. Also the gameplay is quite unique, as it tries to break with a lot of the mechanics you know from other rpgs and punishes the player for playing [it like one of those - edited this in as i forgot half of the sentence ;)].

I recommend this very good video about it, worth every minute of the 2 hour film length. It will spoiler every content of the game, but as I said, I don't recommend to play it. Pathologic 2 is said be less frustrating, maybe I will give that a go some day.
"Pathologic is Genius, And Here is Why" by hbomberguy

Last edited:
I liked the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. due to the way I just roamed the environment and slowly got to know the factions and story. The game was also buggy and clunky, but it matched the mood and lowered expectations a bit I guess. Also it had these alternate ‘endings’ which is a nice twist.

Link's Awakening has a really simple story, but with a pretty big twist that you learn halfway through.
if Link eats too many seagulls, the Wind Fish will kill everyone

Hollowknight also has an interesting lore/story.

Last edited:
Back