Games To Port? Tell Me Which.

Blah

Wanna Be Programmer
Website
Visit site
I want to port more games, but I'm having a problem finding the right ones.
I didn't think it would be, but its really hard finding games with these specs:

Open Source
SDL
320x240
NOT OpenGL
NOT Mouse-driven
Using not more than 8mbs of RAM.

So far, I've only found:

Shippy 1984 (Already ported it)
Angband (not really interested)
Bomb O Bomb (not really interested)
Minesweeper Clone (not really interested)

So I'm wondering if any of you could do better.
C'mon, when does a devver actually ASK you to tell him to port something? ;)

Anyway, I'll check back tommorrow, I have to go now.

Edit: Oh, and I'm speaking of the GP32, NOT the GP2X. I don't have the magical capabilities required to get one, or a devboard...yet :p

Lagagaffe posted on Oct 21 2005 at 05:12 PM said:
Duke Nukem 1 or 2 ?
Commander Keen ?
Eternam ?

(I don't have any knowledge in programming, I hope theses games havec your spec)
They're closed source and not SDL, so nope...

Last edited by a moderator:
Its always puzzled me..... Why isn't commander keen open source? Hasn't iD released the source for just about every old game they've made? Is it because commander keen doesn't have a loading program? (is that the right term?)

Anyways, back on topic, i'm not sure of any games you could port.

Lagagaffe posted on Oct 21 2005 at 09:12 AM said:
Duke Nukem 1 or 2 ?
Commander Keen ?
Eternam ?

(I don't have any knowledge in programming, I hope theses games havec your spec)

Can't port 2D Duke Nukem, but there is Dave Gnukem, which does fit the specs.

I think Paradroid is too high res, among other things. Scaling down would suck. But scaling up worked on Shippy, its res is 240x160. Paradroid also would require porting 5 libraries, which I will NOT do.

Netrok...hmm...I'll look into it. Its a canidate!!!
But the MIDI music and sound would have to be replaced. MIDI is unsupported.

Football Manager--I hate football!!

Blah posted on Oct 21 2005 at 11:13 PM said:
Lagagaffe posted on Oct 21 2005 at 09:12 AM said:
Duke Nukem 1 or 2 ?
Commander Keen ?
Eternam ?

Can't port 2D Duke Nukem, but there is Dave Gnukem, which does fit the specs.

I think you shaould do cough dave gnukem cough what ever you want to do :rolleyes:

Bourbon

Netrock looks OK. But the name reminds me of Nethack games and how I haven't taken the time to play them yet. How bout one of those games, there are SOO MANY of them.

Hmm. Netrock's a no, its CPP, the comments are in German, and both are foreign langauges to me. I want C stuff. Also, I just played Netrock, and it sucks.

I guess its Dave Gnukem then, those old Duke games were fun!

To answer some stuff: there is a SDL commander keen remake... and I thought it was apogee or iD (can't remember which) who published commander keen but I think it was another company who originally made it (ie. coded it) so the source could very well be lost and/or just owned by another company.

Some SDL stuff I found:

Rocks'n'Diamonds, Emerald Mine / Boulder Dash clone. VERY GOOD GAME! With tons of level packs. Looks like the perfect game for a port :)

Exult (Ultima 7 engine!), only seems to need SDL :) Default Resolution 320x200, supports OGG sound instead of Midi. And has been a DOS game, so 8 MB should be enough.
Okay, usually, it needs a mouse... but I think that can be changed.

OpenGlad (Gauntlet-like), don't say on the page which libraries they need.

Abe's Amazing Adventure, a scrolling, platform-jumping, key-collecting, ancient pyramid exploring game.

Bubble Train, a puzzle game. Has higher res, but could easily be scaled down.

Hope something of these can be ported (and I really want an Emerald Mine game on my GP32 :))

EvilDragon posted on Oct 22 2005 at 01:51 PM said:
Rocks'n'Diamonds, Emerald Mine / Boulder Dash clone. VERY GOOD GAME! With tons of level packs. Looks like the perfect game for a port :)

Wait for the gp2x. It needs 20/30 MB of RAM and I'll port it when I get mine.

Sadly there aren't many good games portables to GP32. Most are written in c++ (SDL for GP32 doesn't like it) and the few portables written in C need a lot of memory.

I downloaded two weeks ago every SDL game ever created and tried all of them but, only a few are interesting and/or can be ported to the GP32 :(

A600 posted on Oct 22 2005 at 02:01 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Oct 22 2005 at 01:51 PM said:

Wait for the gp2x. It needs 20/30 MB of RAM and I'll port it when I get mine.

Holy cow! It ran with 256kb on Amiga 1000...

Last edited:
Back