Games For The Gp2x

xzen54321

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I know a lot of you are exited about all the emus and ports you guys are going to be making/playing, but what about games written/coded/whatever for the GP2x specifically? This has probably already been discussed, but how graphically impressive could games made for it be vs. stuff you emulate where a good portion of hardware resources are just going to making an emulated environment for a rom to run in? Of course none of you really know for certain seeing as the thing ain't even out yet. I'm just a guy that likes to ask complected questions.

Also, And related, could a 3d engine be written for the 2x that could render the equivalent of say descent or descent2? (you know old 3d spacey shoot up DOS game, yea you know) And again NOT a emu or port, but an engine for the gp2x

Did i spell descent right?

Heres a SS just for the hell of it
d2wtplant2.jpg

reallynotnick posted on Oct 29 2005 at 03:17 PM said:
that would be awsome to have that kind of graphics!
Actually it would be pretty sad if it didn't get better than that. The GBA can do graphics like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Oct 29 2005 at 07:18 AM said:
Did no one bother checking yeti3d at 133mhz?

I did, and I'm still wondering if there's an English site for it. The only site I've found is the angel software site and that's in French. The other link to http://www.theteahouse.com.au/gba/index.html always gives me a 404 error. :(

OrR posted on Oct 29 2005 at 01:45 PM said:
Actually it would be pretty sad if it didn't get better than that. The GBA can do graphics like that.

I think you exagerate. The GBA can't do that. They can't even do Doom properly. Doom on the GBA is pixel doubled on the already low res GBA and is running at 120 x 160. Doom is simpler than descent.

skeezix posted on Oct 29 2005 at 10:35 AM said:
I'm actually porting Descent; it should run fine ;)

jeff

Do you usally port a lot of things at once? You are really starting to seem like superman to me but you know if front of a computer!

DaveC posted on Oct 29 2005 at 04:45 PM said:

I think you exagerate. The GBA can't do that. They can't even do Doom properly. Doom on the GBA is pixel doubled on the already low res GBA and is running at 120 x 160. Doom is simpler than descent.

The GBA is capable of unbelievably good graphics considering how "weak" it is. Just look at Asterix and Obelix XXL and Gunstar super heroes (which as well as amazing sprite scaling and rotation has numerous 3D effects). Makes me wonder what we can expect from the DS in 2-3 years time...

abigsmurf posted on Oct 29 2005 at 11:47 AM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 29 2005 at 04:45 PM said:

The GBA is capable of unbelievably good graphics considering how "weak" it is. Just look at Asterix and Obelix XXL and Gunstar super heroes (which as well as amazing sprite scaling and rotation has numerous 3D effects). Makes me wonder what we can expect from the DS in 2-3 years time...

GBA has a very good capability when it comes to stuffs that is supposed to handle. Doom may be too much, but I have seen Wolfenstein3D at full 30fps with full multiplayer support (not the one that was released years ago), although that involves heavy ARM assembly programming and efficient use of every ounce of the hardware power. Don't let low CPU clock speed fool you, it's the whole system that counts.

codeninja posted on Oct 29 2005 at 09:15 PM said:
GBA has a very good capability when it comes to stuffs that is supposed to handle. Doom may be too much, but I have seen Wolfenstein3D at full 30fps with full multiplayer support (not the one that was released years ago), although that involves heavy ARM assembly programming and efficient use of every ounce of the hardware power. Don't let low CPU clock speed fool you, it's the whole system that counts.

Wolf3D had been running pretty good on the PC AT@16MHz. At higher resolution too and with an 16 bit cpu (the 80286).

Radek posted on Oct 29 2005 at 12:39 PM said:
GBA has a very good capability when it comes to stuffs that is supposed to handle.  Doom may be too much, but I have seen Wolfenstein3D at full 30fps with full multiplayer support (not the one that was released years ago), although that involves heavy ARM assembly programming and efficient use of every ounce of the hardware power.  Don't let low CPU clock speed fool you, it's the whole system that counts.

Wolf3D had been running pretty good on the PC AT@16MHz. At higher resolution too and with an 16 bit cpu (the 80286).

GBA has a 16MHz processor with 32KB main memory and 96KB Video RAM (37.5KB of it being framebuffer leaving around 58KB). If I remember correctly, a typical 286 PC had 640KB or 1MB memory; if you have programmed a game, you would know that 32KB vs 640KB will make a world of difference. Was that Wolf3D running in 16 color mode? Anyway, I'm not trying to argue what GBA can do against x86, but, rather, I was trying to make a point that unlike what Sony and Intel love to do, reading some numbers off spec sheet doesn't give you the whole picture of how the system is going to perform in real life. So, you have to understand how efficiently the entire system works instead of picking off some numbers out of released specifications.

codeninja posted on Oct 29 2005 at 11:19 PM said:
Radek posted on Oct 29 2005 at 12:39 PM said:

GBA has a 16MHz processor with 32KB main memory and 96KB Video RAM (37.5KB of it being framebuffer leaving around 58KB). If I remember correctly, a typical 286 PC had 640KB or 1MB memory; if you have programmed a game, you would know that 32KB vs 640KB will make a world of difference. Was that Wolf3D running in 16

1MB (640KB and somewhat less than 384KB for an extended memory) plus 256KB of video ram of VGA.

color mode? Anyway, I'm not trying to argue what GBA can do against x86, but,

Not 16 but 256 colours actually as this was fastest way to program the VGA anyway (and the best looking).

rather, I was trying to make a point that unlike what Sony and Intel love to do, reading some numbers off spec sheet doesn't give you the whole picture of how the system is going to perform in real life. So, you have to understand how efficiently the entire system works instead of picking off some numbers out of released specifications.

Yep but I was talking about the "80286". This cpu isn't even pipelined and has only 16 bit accumulator, no cache and complicated memory addressing. Yet it has the MMU so it was actually somewhat weird.

One thing you have to remember about the gba is that it does not need alot of ram because it has very fast cartidges, which are practically as fast as the ram.

Back