Gamepark Files Bankruptcy

thelamer

ARRR I'm A Pirate
Website
www.skankpost.com
Translated From Some Korean Site

Ca is there, Game Park, small Korean company which did not finish any any more dying, has just filed for bankruptcy at the end of the year 2006. With its credit: the GP32, a splendid portable console marketed into 2001 which will have largely contributed to the development of productions of amateurs, emulators, etc A its liability: a disastrous policy, an obvious lack of communication and gold opportunities missed, blow afterwards.

Here nearly two years that it did not occur large any more thing on scene GP32 and, following the launching of the GP2X by a new dissenting company (Game Park Holdings), the last employees worked, in a secrecy kept more or less well, with the development of new models: the XGP (which were to compete with the PSP of Sony), the XGP Mini (a version light) or the XGP Kids (an accessible console and compatible GP32, on the model of Micro Game Boy). In spite of an ultimate attempt to allure potential investors at the time of E3 2006, these last consoles will thus be born undoubtedly never.

From Wikipedia

On March 8, 2007 it was announced that Gamepark declared bankruptcy (source: [1] )so it seems unlikely that any of the XGP models will be released.

So

xgp.jpg

I guess that settles it. No XGP. Very sad for those who were waitiing and expecting one of those systems. :(

edit: Really a sad end for those who brought us the GP32. Well for part of them at least. The rest of the group is at GamePark Holdings.

Can't really be a surprise to anyone, though, can it?

Moxie posted on Mar 13 2007 at 09:41 AM said:
Can't really be a surprise to anyone, though, can it?
Not surprised either... GP and Gph started work on the console round about the same time, right? And GPH produced something 2005, and a year later GP still hadn't produced, an effectively very similar console. A clear signal something was wrong...

They might sell their designs to someone else though... probably some Chinese company. You might see an xgp yet, though I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, don't you jump to conclusions. Company-health-wise, there's a lot of difference between a company with one product to sell and no product to sell. The first may survive :)

I seem to have turned into "gp32 hardcore". That's sooo funny, 'cuz I've never even seen a GP32 :)

Quite frankly, I think its better for this community that way.
Now the waiting for GamePark to do something is finally over and no new handhelds mean no splitting of the community and no splitting ( = weakening ) of the GP2X-developer scene.
Now everyone can just go on and continue to focus on the GP2X.
The GP32/GP2X scene isn't big enough to keep more than one platform alive at a time, IMO.

Don't forget however that the GP2X will not last forever, there needs to be a steady stream of newer, more advanced consoles available. Every couple of years is probably the usual, given the time delay between the gp32 and gp2x (was it 2 years, or 3 years between them? I can't remember).

At the moment, the gp2x is still strong, but I wonder what will happen in a years time?

Squidge posted on Mar 13 2007 at 11:50 AM said:
Don't forget however that the GP2X will not last forever, there needs to be a steady stream of newer, more advanced consoles available. Every couple of years is probably the usual, given the time delay between the gp32 and gp2x (was it 2 years, or 3 years between them? I can't remember).

At the moment, the gp2x is still strong, but I wonder what will happen in a years time?

I think GPH will profit from GameParks bankrupty, because they lose a potential rival. This could strengthen GPH and the GP2X and thus might help them to gain the resources necessary for the development of a GP3X or whatever they would probably call it.

I think this just proves that a small homebrew based handheld is possible while a small commercial unit is not.

You are suicidal to try and take on companies like Sony and Nintendo without multiple divisions and the kind of capital they have.

thelamer posted on Mar 13 2007 at 07:20 AM said:
I think this just proves that a small homebrew based handheld is possible while a small commercial unit is not.

You are suicidal to try and take on companies like Sony and Nintendo without multiple divisions and the kind of capital they have.
Very true.

Well, nothing surprising for me.
Told you looong ago that I don't think the XGP will ever see the light of day...

Squidge posted on Mar 13 2007 at 06:50 AM said:
Every couple of years is probably the usual, given the time delay between the gp32 and gp2x (was it 2 years, or 3 years between them? I can't remember).
Two to three years is an awful short amount of time, why that would mean the GP2X is approaching its end in less than six months. Something along four to five years would seem a lot more reasonable, and that would leave everyone more time to create and enjoy more polished software.

Perhaps the GP2X scene is larger than the GP32 one, but still I doubt the GP2X could withstand the GP3X any better than the GP32 did the GP2X. Releasing a new handheld within the next twelve months would be sadistic.

- Alex

EvilDragon might know, but he's probably not going to say... of course we had a number of threads of wild speculation... I have a few suspicions though....

I don't really think GP failed on account of trying to make a commercial console though. That usually would happen shortly after release when nobody buys it and its games. Not when its still on the drawing board so to speak, they just had no investors I reckon, and couldn't fund production...

Back