Gamebase Port Possible?

Namo said:
Maybe its just me, but it seems kind of useless having a frontend for an emulator, since 98% of Emulators have frontends to begin with. The only two I can think of that don't have one are DosBOX and MAME. And MAME's most recent versions have a semi-frontend (At least enough to get you started), and DosBOX doesn't feel right unless you type in all the commands ;)
it seems kind of useless having the front-end inside the emulator to me.
it's true that many emulators also have a front-end, if only they had sane defaults. a nice emu front-end would be a killer app for the pandora and linux.

the mame front-end depends on the stylus right? this is stupid because mame roms generally use the gaming controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
second exodous said:
TylerAW said:
second exodous said:
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about porting this, it would just be better building something like this from the ground up. Like (naw)mcx linked it's already being worked on.
But can you use it to sort games I currently have or do you need to download a set list or something?
You'll have to ask someone that is working on it. Do you mean if your rom files are named well they will appear all nicely in a list with descriptions and screenshots? That just needs to be built in, I know other programs do it.
1+

Gamebase does a heck of a lot more than just allow you to start an emulator - it's a great project. It takes a couple of minutes to set up properly (so not sure why people are having difficulty - did you actually read the docs/visit the forum.

Anyway I use it for my c64, Amiga, ST, Spectrum - it has literally 1000's of entries. As I said it's not just an emulator front end, it has;

- screenshots (usually a title and a playing one)
- box scans
- game maps
- game solutions
- game instructions
- the music from the game (i.e. the sids for the c64 games)
- musician photos
- developer info, what year was it coded etc etc
- and loads more that I can't remember at the mo

Gamebase also allows 5 star rankings, so you can rate your games, which can be handy. I'll probably only have my favourites Pandora anyway, but it's useful for huge collections.

scottm said:
- screenshots (usually a title and a playing one)
- box scans
- game maps
- game solutions
- game instructions
- the music from the game (i.e. the sids for the c64 games)
- musician photos
- developer info, what year was it coded etc etc
- and loads more that I can't remember at the mo

Now I'm interested.

Back