OpenOffice on the Pandora

ToastBucket

Very Active Member
OpenOffice on the pandora has been something I've been interested in since I first got it (it's in for repairs right now and should be back very very soon). I saw that it worked on extends, but I think a clean port would be best. I recently read about OpenOffice having been ported to ARM (I don't know when it was ported) and found this. From this information, is it possible to port it to the Pandora? If so, is someone willing to help me out/teach me how to port this when I get my Pandora back?

Last edited by a moderator:
I second both proposals: a native port of LibreOffice would be great.

In the meantime try Openoffice.org on Gregor's PanDebian: it's really snappy and usable. In the weekend, if I have time, I'll also try LibreOffice from Debian experimental repos and report.

Hmm, LibreOffice looks really interesting. I've never heard of it before. I'm not to keen on the idea of installing an extend on my Pandora mostly because I don't understand what it is. I also don't like the fact that I have to turn the Pandora off to remove the SD card, seeing as I only have one SD card.

Hmm, LibreOffice looks really interesting. I've never heard of it before.

Yeah, apparently it's a fork of OpenOffice. The same thing happened with (no longer)OpenSolaris. Quite a few devs split off when Sun was bought by Oracle and Oracle did what everyone expected. A lot of people have been jumping ship and forking big projects. Apparently the contributers/developers of OpenOffice were okay with the project being managed (is that the correct term, since it's open-source?) by Sun. Not so much any more...

If the TDF are able to remove all Java dependencies would that be a good thing for mobile devices? I'm guessing less resource requirements...

Back