Game On Exhibition, Science Museum, London

Shirohagen

Brutal Deluxe
Website
richardho.lt
Hi guys

Just been to the Game On exhibition, currently on until 25th February at the Science Museum in London:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/exhibitions/gameon/

It was great, you get an hour and a half to play everything to your heart's content. It wasn't all the same stuff as the one a few years ago at the Barbican (although pretty similar) My pictures of the event are here if you're curious...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/holster/sets/72157594391318808/

...Drop me some comments on Flickr if you like them!

®

Damn you Britons are lucky. Here in Germany, the prohibition of "killergames" is discussed once more after the latest amok run in Emsdetten, and you have an exhibition of the videogame history in the Science Museum.

Damn you Britons are lucky. Here in Germany, the prohibition of "killergames" is discussed once more after the latest amok run in Emsdetten, and you have an exhibition of the videogame history in the Science Museum.

i don't think space invaders is about to start any riots :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you trust the judgement of the german media and politicians then probably yes.

You wouldn´t believe what those idiots categorise as "killergames". Even Warcraft 3.

Newspapers call for the closure of german game development studios such as Crytek. Its really a shame.

I went to Game On last month. It's great, there's loads to do. I stayed for four or five hours and nobody noticed.

I went to Game On last month. It's great, there's loads to do. I stayed for four or five hours and nobody noticed.

last time, i wasn't really into retro games that much, so i skipped most of the machines... >< but i'll go this time.

although i did manage to find a SNES running that rare gundam fighting game, which was fun, and River City Ransom..

If you trust the judgement of the german media and politicians then probably yes.

You wouldn´t believe what those idiots categorise as "killerkames". Even Warcraft 3.

Newspapers call for the closure of german game development studios such as Crytek. Its really a shame.

I love it how people debating against violent video games have no idea what they are talking about. I remember the last time, about a year ago, when a psychologist explains how recent games like "Doom 1" or "Quake" offer a realistic killing simulation and weapons training. Or how the media lies outright. "Those are scenes from Grand Theft Auto, a game that any 16 year old can buy" and then they show a video of the uncensored version that is actually not available in Germany.
Meh. I'd rather watch the news. Hey, we're forced to fund those fuckers, might as well see some unbiased journalism in action.

"Subin was a good, upstanding citizen. Then, one day, he was pushed by a man with an un unreasonable hate for nicknames beginning with "s", slipped on a banana peel and fell down a flight of stairs. The reason? KILLER GAMES. Playing such realistic murder simulations such as Space Invaders he lost all sense of direction in his life. The stair was not a part of his preferred world - a world of blood and death where only the most brutal killers survive. Frontal 21 has aquired a shocking video fo the occurence.
(black and white video with slapstick sound effects plays)
Shocking. A wave of uncertainty swept the nation. Will my child slip on banana peels too? Does my thirty-eight year old son play Space Invaders?
Unfortunately, the answer is most assuredly YES. This random guy that has never heard about video games before this show agrees. EVERYBODY playing Space Invaders will INVARIABLY fall down a flight of stairs.
Tragic."

Worst thing is, I would not be surprised to actually see something to that extend on our news.

Back