Game Engines

ninjamonkey

Still Fresh
SO I am planning on making an fps game for the pandora (or atleast attempt). I was wondering, what game engines are compatible with the OS it runs?

From what I've heard the beagle board got a port of OGRE3D, so that might work out, and I think I've heard mention of a Irrlicht port and personally, I think Panda3D would be interesting to have on the Pandora (if only for the fact that everyone seems to abbreviate pandora to panda :p)... as for full (Unity, Unreal - esque) I'm not really sure if there are any atm... Part of me wishes I was smarter about 3D engine design, as having experience with multiple 3D engines (Unreal, Unity, NeoAxis, Torque3D, etc.) before, I do understand alot of the downfalls of the current designs and would love to draw a line in the sand and say "Hey, THIS is what we've always wanted but you could never deliver!". Don't get me wrong, some of those engines are very powerful, or fairly user friendly, but intuitive is none of their strong suit imo...

Your best bet would either be to learn about OGRE3D or Irrlicht, as they are going to be givens, or maybe even the Quake3 engine, which is already ported. If you want awesome, mind blowing graphics and a good learning experience it'd probably be best to even dig in and learn openGL es 2.0 or 1.1...

First place you should look for is an engine that runs on ARM (so based on OGLES).
I don't think there are many, if any it would be closed source.
But there may be good advantages for using an engine like that.

Besides that you next best choice would be something that's already ported like Quake 3
I don't know didly squat about 3D game engines or coding so take this as a grain of salt.
But I do know there are various versions of engines eg XReal and ioquake3 and some are "lighter" whereas others are more complex.
And the one that you chose should cater to your idea, so if your fps has vehicles/flying/different views etc etc so should games running on the engine.

Edit: Have a look HERE for some examples for the OPandora

If you want to see how to code a game with its own 3D engine, download the sources for WakeBreaker from http://w1xer.at/pandora/ .. this project has a full-blown 3D game coded in C++ for OpenGL ES 1.1, and doesn't use any other 3rd party libraries to do its own rendering - physics, particles, collision-detection - all implemented in easy-to-understand C++ classes ..

The game itself isn't terribly fantastic - you just race around a course looking for objects to pick up and the computer AI is quite dodgy - but the fact is, you don't *need* a full-blown 3rd-party library to get pretty graphics on the screen. WakeBreaker can teach you all you need to know to get along just fine without such an investment .. and you could even use it as the base for your own project, easily enough. (I have).

IIRC Irrlicht has been successfully ported to iPhone, OpenGL ES 1.1 and arm processor, so it should work for pandora too.
There was a guy working on getting the OpenGL ES 2.0 with NEON support for the Pandora.

Awesome. Anyways, to do this I need the irrlicht port for the pandora files right? Where would I find theses? I've looked around the forum; no luck.

Ogre is already ported to N900, iphone, android and windows mobile, and has opengles and opengles2 renderers.
I'm not sure how feature complete those platform ports are though, I use Ogre exclusively on pc. I'm far back in the order queue so somebody else will probably get it running on Pandora before I get to try.
(To be accurate, Ogre and Irrlicht aren't game engines, just graphics engines)

What is the easiest game engine that is open source and will work with the pandora? I dont really know coding. I know a bit of coding from one of my engineering course (but its in vba).
or would it be easier to make mod in kurok and port that to the pandora?

KodeIn said:
IIRC Irrlicht has been successfully ported to iPhone, OpenGL ES 1.1 and arm processor, so it should work for pandora too.
There was a guy working on getting the OpenGL ES 2.0 with NEON support for the Pandora.
Not only was Irrlicht ported, it was shown to be working on a Pandora prototype some 12-16 months ago. I think interest in polishing it up waned as the Pandora's ship date kept slipping. Maybe now that things are really moving someone will make an official package of it that someone can just use.

ninjamonkey said:
What is the easiest game engine that is open source and will work with the pandora? I dont really know coding.
Nothing yet. Any of the engines that have been listed are just graphic engines and you need to code all the functionality yourself. There's currently no game maker type port, though one may be forthcoming eventually, it'll just take some time. Even many of those, I should warn you, will require some coding knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a little from VBA. I was looking into all of the game programming languages. LUA seems to be the closest to VBA. I am also in the process of reading a book called "Beginning C++ Game Programming." Hopefully it will help.

I don't mind having to write things out. I started to make a mod in kurok, a goldeneye mod, but that failed due to the fact that I was starting college. But the team got a decent amount of stuff done without me. They coded a few weapons, had the weapon model, a few mp maps, and were starting to make sp maps.

Back