Game Emulation Option Request

Sidus

Still Fresh
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone else has had a simular thought about putting in the following option in games.

I found when playing emulated games on snes, mame, SMS .. etc... "..man its anoying to have to push the joystick all the way over to perform actions."

So I was wondering if it would be possible to set the sensitivity of the joystick. Some game systems like snes didn't have a joystick. The Dpad made for on / off clicking to perform actions. But with the gp2x you have the joystick. So to have snes see you've pressed right you need to move it all the way to the right. When performing more complex moves like in Street Fighter games (forward down forward and stuff like that) it is quite difficult to do it quickly and accurately.

I think a simple option that would allow you to use the joystick like a dpad.. ie. have it see you've pressed right even if you only move it half way to the right would be great.

I don't know if this is possible or if I'm the only one that has had this problem but it seems like a good idea.

Best regards,

woogal posted on Oct 17 2006 at 01:07 PM said:
The stick is digital, not analog, so there is no 'half way to the right'.

:) then I guess I'll read that thread about making a dpad I saw.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cruel posted on Oct 18 2006 at 05:20 AM said:
The stick isn`t analog?
Hell! What for it need then? :unsure:

Why, why they couldnt do one simple good comfortable D-pad with BUTTONS?!.. Oh... God...

because that would have made sense. i find it difficult to control also. Until someone develops a simple easy to install mod, that wont wreck the casing, i find it hard to think that the problem will be solved so quickly. I wish GPH sold the front casing with a blank for the stick part, if they did that, I'd buy one and tinker with it a bit.

Well, while we are on the subject of ideas for emulators, I think it would be good if emulators could automatically load a saved game snapshot if it exists when starting the game. There could always be an option to disable this for users who don't want it, but it would just be that little bit more convenient than opening the game, going back into the menu, going to the snapshot part of the menu and loading.
I know it is not by any means an essential feature but would be a nice little addition.

Well I don't mind having to go back into the menu system. I don't like assumptions in .. well anything really.. Cus someone's assumption isn't necessarly mine.

But you know what would be nice :).. in squidgsnes to have it prompt " Are you sure you want to save state" You have NO idea how many times I've gone and overwrite my zelda 3 state by accident because the load and save state are next to eachother with no confirmation.

*sigh*

sephiroth111 posted on Oct 19 2006 at 08:14 AM said:
Until someone develops a simple easy to install mod, that wont wreck the casing...
See the link on my sig... ;)

It isn't as pretty as a nicely integrated one, but you don't have to damage the casing, and if you make the assembly a bit raised, you don't need to cut off the stick or grind down the joystick raised area (ie keep the case in its original state).

well this option is also nice but it's a bit of a niche option since it isn't coded in few lines.
the option i'm talking about is having a mem searcher built in the emulator to search the emulated systems memory for variables. things u could include are option to search for bytes, words, dwords. bigger then, less than, equal to, exact value, changed not changed searches it would need us to be able to select an adress save it into some kind of list and let us specify a value that should always be writting at that place in the memory.

What's the u use u might think ? well this would allaw us to search for cheats for games of the emulated system. I'm quite good at searching for cheats like this (i've done it in windows for the pc and other emulators). and we could build up a cheat database for the emulator and it's games. this is something the community can help with.

if u don't know what i mean have a look at certain emulators on the pc which have such system incorporated.

if an emulator had it i would be makeing cheat lists for the emulator all u need to provide is a way to do the mem searching on the gp2x and a way to load cheat lists and select cheats for a certain game.

some examples of cheats that would be possible are :
unlimited lives, energy, speed, specials ...
level selects
unlock hidden charaveters
and much more

I hate dpads i'd rather have a better stick. Emulated games would be better with dpads, but for newer games a stick would allow more control, except unfortunetely this stick is just a dpad that is 10 times harder to control

Back