Fruit Machine Emulation

strumstrum

Still Fresh
anybody know of any or if there is anything in the pipeline, id love to have some pub fruitys on the machine..

cheers

Sorry, I missed this topic first time around and it resurfaced when I was doing a search...

I have already made a start at trying to port some FME stuff over to GP2X (well, multiplatform in fact using SDL), but the performance prognosis doesn't appear too good :(

I was involved with writing the PC-based emulators, and the performance demands are pretty high. Coupled with that a limited display resolution available, and limited input available, and I'm not sure how practical it would be?

Is there really much interest for Fruit Machine emulation on GP2X anyway?

Tony

Biggest problem i would have thought would be being able to make out feature names etc. on the small screen. Lo-Tech type machines would probably look ok though.

As for performance Mpu34 used to run pretty ok on a PII 266 or better so its likely to be quite a bit slower on a GP2x especially as it doesn't have an fpu etc. Although with the smaller screen maybe the graphics overhead will be significantly reduced ?

My guess is that they don't really want emulation of actual fruit machine roms, just clones. To which my response is, just go play the various NES/SNES/otherconsole versions on emulators of those platforms.

pete_w posted on Sep 20 2006 at 06:46 PM said:
Biggest problem i would have thought would be being able to make out feature names etc. on the small screen. Lo-Tech type machines would probably look ok though.

As for performance Mpu34 used to run pretty ok on a PII 266 or better so its likely to be quite a bit slower on a GP2x especially as it doesn't have an fpu etc. Although with the smaller screen maybe the graphics overhead will be significantly reduced ?

'Tis true - the only possible "workaround" to this that I could think of was to split the displayed part of the machine into several "chunks" - so that you could view either the top, bottom or both (using a hot-key toggle), but retaining the buttons on an overlaid panel. Still not sure if it would look too hot though :S

Performance wise, I've been test-compiling on an old laptop for speed reference indication - It's an old P2-400 with around 380MB of ram, running Fedora Core 5 Linux. Runs pretty slowly I have to say, although it's early days codewise, so perhaps there would be a way to improve the speed, say by inlining functions or switching to asm-based CPU cores (something I'm a little reluctant to do due to the fact that the code is C++, so there'd be a fair amount of work involved in doing that, and the asm core would then be target platform specific). I don't imagine that the lack of FPU would be an issue for most fruity-type techs as they use fairly standard processors (Motorola 68xx, 68xxx, Z80 etc) which don't have FPUs themselves.

Ho-hum! As others have remarked, I think it's more the ability to play fruities than emulated fruities, in which case the games suggested fit the bill pretty well!

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
pete_w posted on Sep 20 2006 at 06:55 PM said:
There were some fun fruities on the Amiga if i remember....
What are the best fruit machine games? I love Psycho Pinball on the Megadrive personally. What other ones have proper ball physics and are colourful and fun to play?

bacteria posted on Sep 21 2006 at 02:00 PM said:
What are the best fruit machine games? I love Psycho Pinball on the Megadrive personally. What other ones have proper ball physics and are colourful and fun to play?
:blink: Fruit machines don't have balls.

Fruit machines are the gambling machines found in pubs.

I do prefer pinball machines but this a bit off topic.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

MattC

Actually a fruit machine is a good idea for one of my Fenix projects. If I can't find anything better I might look into writing one after I have finished GP Berzerk! My boyfriend did mention it would be nice to have an updated version of Defender for the GP2X, but I think a Fruit Machine would be a nice quick project in between the larger games.

A fruit machine game would be pritty cool. I could sit in pubs playing fruit machines for free, whilst all my friends are at the other side of the pub wasting there money on the real thing... :huh:

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 22 2006 at 08:13 AM said:
My boyfriend did mention it would be nice to have an updated version of Defender for the GP2X
I said that to you aswell!!

Well I told you to port your PC version of it...

Javacat posted on Sep 22 2006 at 10:22 AM said:
A fruit machine game would be pritty cool. I could sit in pubs playing fruit machines for free, whilst all my friends are at the other side of the pub wasting there money on the real thing... :huh:

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 22 2006 at 08:13 AM said:
My boyfriend did mention it would be nice to have an updated version of Defender for the GP2X
I said that to you as well!!

Well I told you to port your PC version of it...
Actually I have me own Idea for an interesting spin to the game, so I don't want to do a clone. I want to make it a little more like Datastorm on the Amiga!

mattc posted on Sep 21 2006 at 08:28 PM said:
bacteria posted on Sep 21 2006 at 02:00 PM said:
:blink: Fruit machines don't have balls.

Fruit machines are the gambling machines found in pubs.

I do prefer pinball machines but this a bit off topic.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

MattC
No idea why I said this, I must have had other things on my mind! Psycho Pinball is (obviously) pinball (why did I post this?) - it is a very good one though! As stated before, Arcade Fruit Machine (DOS) is very good. Oops! :blink: Doh!

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 22 2006 at 04:46 PM said:
Hey Bacteria, May I ask where you got the name from? Was it inspired by a fantastic music demo on the ole' Amiga A500?
Thanks for asking.

Actually, I was watching the American comedy program "Ellen" some time ago (my wife loved watching this program, so I got "roped in"). On one episode, the guy (can't remember his name) who did the coffee in the shop, was having a conversation with Ellen, and were talking about the internet - he said he had a cool log-in name which no-one could guess, then promptly told Ellen it was "Bacteria". It stuck! I tend to use obscure passwords for different things, which are varied and unguessible, so I guess this is why this one became by handle! :)

I didn't fancy using a picture of bacteria for my avatar, I just liked the name; so found a nice pic on the internet which caught my eye, and used that one. Because of the mod projects I have been doing over the last months, the "Blue Peter" reference kept coming up (aka a nickname), so I incorporated this into my avator; seemed fitting after all. Took me a couple of hours to change the avator logo to the current one, lots of detail in only 80x80 pixels, but I do like the result!

Back