Freezing Pandora

tony.pigram

I've been a very happy chappy and have been using my Pandora on and off for the past 2 years.  I left it on the shelf for about 6 months, charged it back up and have been using it for the past couple of weeks with no problem.  I usually use it on flights from UK to Europe, so about 2hours continuously.

Two days ago, I noticed that after being on for about 10 minutes the device would just freeze.  Today, I have had the device next to my main laptop and it is about every 10 minutes it stops responding with the only option to switch it off.  I thought maybe it was due to some inactivity or something, so I just fired up Audacious and put playback on random and after 2-3 songs it has just frozen again.  no response from anything.

I'm running Super Zaxxon 1.5 (kernel 3.2), does anyone know if there is a log that I can examine anywhere that might shed any light on why it's freezing.  As I say, it's been fine for years, the only thing I changed was replacing the Firefox 13 with 24 .pnd.

I may have figured it out.  I "forgot" that I installed vnstat, well, I did actually press [Cancel] when installing but it seems to have ignored that and installed it anyway.  It had set a Service to start up to monitor network traffic.  I've just turned it off.  Will re-test and see if it now lasts more than 10 mins.

You should update to latest SuperZaxxon (currently 1.55), I can vaguely remember we had such bug around the time original SZ 1.5 was out.

I think that bug had something to do with screenblanking and if you had a wrong date/time set, you were not able to unblank it.

Does the display go black if that happens?

nope, doesn't go blank, just stays as it is and freezes.  touch screen doesn't respond and no keys seem to do anything.  I have noticed that time is 2hrs behind though.  I think I'll do an OS update tomorrow.

EDIT: before doing the OS update.  I noticed that the Pandora is now actually doing a screen blank (black screen) correctly and hasn't frozen, once it goes black if I click anywhere or press a key it resumes as it should.  I think I'll hold off for a few more days before doing the OS update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing the OS update is mandatory for some newer games/emulators, so it should be done anyways.

Back