Freerice.com

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
Came across this site through Facebook, and I think it's an awesome way to help feed the poor. You answer multiple choice vocab questions (mostly synonyms of what the asking word is), and for every one you get correct, 10 grains of rice are donated through the United Nations. You also get to see your skill level at the bottom.

Today I answered 200 questions. It took me about 20 minutes, and I donated 2000 grains of rice to someone in need. My max skill level is 41, but it dropped rapidly to an average of around 32.

How well can you do? Go make a difference!!

Thats pretty cool especially because its some good vocab practice along with doing a good thing... english teachers should have there students use the site for nightly vocab practice, even with just like 100 teachers with 50 kids each doing it for 15 minutes a night would be 100x50x200(days)x1000(grains in 15 minutes)=like a billion grains in a year=35000 pounds of rice a year=a years worth of food for like 50 people (obviously i did some bad math somewhere).

Those Africans are gonna get mighty sick of rice...

Not bad at all, I suggested a donation of 1000 grains of rice and averaged a score somewhere between 28-34. I hope the sponsors will donate rice even if you don't click their buttons (somehow they escaped adblock ;-)

Now if only developed countries found it in their hearts to fully cancel the national debts of impoverished nations...

Alex. said:
Not bad at all, I suggested a donation of 1000 grains of rice and averaged a score somewhere between 28-34. I hope the sponsors will donate rice even if you don't click their buttons (somehow they escaped adblock ;-)

Now if only developed countries found it in their hearts to fully cancel the national debts of impoverished nations...
In the FAQ it says that whatever your score is, that amount is locked in to be donated. That is, is you lose connection or close the browser, the donation is still registered.

So no, clicking the ads isn't required :). You're making a direct, guaranteed donation, not suggesting that they do it (thankfully)

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
You're making a direct, guaranteed donation, not suggesting that they do it (thankfully)
That's neat, just donated 1000 more :)

My score improved too, never below 31!

It's not only a worthy cause but it's incredibly addictive to play! I've managed to improve from a 34 average on my first try to around 40 - which I'm rather proud of since English isn't my first language :)

Sorry, but I think that's bullshit. How about leaving out the crap multiple choice questionaire and just donating 10$? That can buy the poor not only a few grains but a few sacks! Fuck all those moral masturbation projects... they don't help at all! It's like those beneficial shows on tv where a lot of stars perform and lotsa important people appear in their expensive suits and dresses to ask for donations. If they didn't spend their money on champagne and expensive clothes but instead donated or invested that into 3rd world development aid, they would probably make 10 times more money as donated.

Seriously, play the game, answer the questions, but don't dare to claim you are helping the poor. It's ridiculous.

Also: If you give a starving man a fish, you might save him for another day. If you teach him how to catch fish, you will save his life!

Sorry for getting angry, please don't take it personally.

I hear you nopasaranx, did you know that donations sent to poor countries only amount to 10% of what they have to pay yearly for their national debts to banks from developed countries? Cancel those debts and you will end the large scale poverty in those countries.

Uh sorry, as fucked up as this may sound, I'm never thrilled with giving money to "feed the poor", because sadly, most of the time your money goes into the pockets of scam artists. No thanks. At least with this you're not giving cash and thus it's less likely they're pocketing the money.

Besides, while it's sad that the world is in such horrid shape, I feel more for the animals out there. The helpless, sin-free creatures that are abused daily by many of the people who are "in need".

Call me what you want. I can't help how I feel. We're all doomed anyway.

Besides, while it's sad that the world is in such horrid shape, I feel more for the animals out there. The helpless, sin-free creatures that are abused daily by many of the people who are "in need".
Ever ate a burger? ;)

Alex. said:
Ever ate a burger? ;)

Yes actually, because I don't believe vegans get the proper nutrition. Not only that, but I prefer to eat kosher considering the Jews have more humane means of killing the animal.

Regardless, I'm not referring to cows and chickens that are killed quickly and painlessly, I'm referring to domesticated animals that are beaten and starved by pieces of shit like michael vick.

I think this is starting to get a little derailed. Feel free to PM me if you care to continue, but I'd like to NOT see this closed. Also feel free to donate money through another website/charity, no one's stopping you. This is an excellent way to help out, even if it is a little bit.

edit: typos

I have this strange idea you can't live off rice..... and that you might just be giving ad money to the site owners or otherwise the 'rice' is ad money getting lost in red tape somewhere in the UN.... Maybe I am just too cynical. I guess this feels like the 'wave to the cats' of the charity world..... let's see if anyone catches my reference there. 1995's internet, where are you when we need you the most.

Back