Freedesktop categories for games

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
We are supposed to assign a freedesktop category (see http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apas02.html) to our PNDs. This determines it's category in the repo, and more importantly, where it ends up in the menu on your Pandora.

Problem is: the subcategories for games kind of suck. Here they are:

ActionGame An action game

AdventureGame Adventure style game

ArcadeGame Arcade style game

BoardGame A board game

BlocksGame Falling blocks game

CardGame A card game

KidsGame A game for kids

LogicGame Logic games like puzzles, etc

RolePlaying A role playing game

Shooter A shooter game

Simulation A simulation game

SportsGame A sports game

StrategyGame A strategy game

Can anyone tell me the difference between an ActionGame and an ArcadeGame?

Shouldn't "Shooter" be a subcategory of "ActionGame" (or "ArcadeGame")?

Is a race game a "Simulation" or a "SportsGame"?

How to classify a typical platformer where you shoot your enemies and collect keys to open doors? ("Action", "Adventure", "Arcade", and "Shooter" all seem somewhat apropriate)

Would you classify chess as a "BoardGame", "LogicGame", or "StrategyGame"?

And so on. Typically when I download a new game, I have no clue in which submenu it is going to appear.

I'm not saying we shouldn't use these categories, after all they're a standard so it makes sense to try to follow it. But maybe we need some guidelines on how to classify stuff, and perhaps we should invent a few additional categories and/or deprecate some unwanted categories.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying we shouldn't use these categories, after all they're a standard so it makes sense to try to follow it.

So if I say tomorrow that the new standard for games is by color code, you have to figure out which game is yellow and which one is blue? :) Just because a standard exists does not mean it is irreproachable and the best thing there is. 

This standard was very much obviously not build in by gamers, but by programmers who wanted to put stuff in folders without considering a proper way to classify games. It would be better to have custom categories, really, if at all possible with xfce and the libpnd. 

Back