FreeCiv and other games that don't fit in the screen - How do you play them?

Thraka

The menu for freeciv extends past the bottom of the screen so I cannot hit the start button.

In the Dosbox keymapper utility, it also extends past the bottom of the screen so I cannot hit the save button.

How can I get around this issue?

I don't know about FreeCiv, but what Gruso says definitely does apply to the DOSBox keymapper - you just have to be mindful of not hitting the images of the keys whilst grabbing and moving the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not played with either yet but freeciv wiki http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ says

Graphic display Edit Graphic display section

The GTK2 client works well on 1024x800 or higher resolutions. On smaller screens you may want to enable the Arrange widgets for small displays option under Interface tab in local options.

I don't know about FreeCiv, but what Gruso says definitely does apply to the DOSBox keymapper - you just have to be mindful of not hitting the images of the keys whilst grabbing and moving the window.
Don't bother with the keymapper in DOSBox (too easy to screw something up, and it doesn't always work), just follow these instructions on the wiki.
I've never had any problems with it (it consistently works for me), and the mapping provided by those instructions unfortunately doesn't help me at all*, but thanks for the link.

*(If you know the scancodes for setting the J key to the "X" game button, and the Space key to the "A" game button, that would be terribly handy, though... :p It's a shame it can't be set on a per-game basis!)

Don't bother with the keymapper in DOSBox (too easy to screw something up, and it doesn't always work), just follow these instructions on the wiki.
I've never had any problems with it (it consistently works for me), and the mapping provided by those instructions unfortunately doesn't help me at all*, but thanks for the link.

*(If you know the scancodes for setting the J key to the "X" game button, and the Space key to the "A" game button, that would be terribly handy, though... :p It's a shame it can't be set on a per-game basis!)
maybe a script to run before which gives a choice of key mappers (that you make) and it simply copies the requested one over the current one.

How does it not help? All you need to do is download that mapper.txt file and replace the one in your .dboxfe folder with it.

And the scancodes for ABXY & L/R are mentioned there already. To repeat:

A (key 278)

B (key 279)

Y (key 280)

X (key 281)

L (key 303)

R (key 305)

^ Ah, I see - I misread it, sorry about that! :lol: I take it "J" is just j, and so on?

Back