Update Freeciv 2.6.0 - GTK2 client.

canseco

Very Active Member
Freeciv 2.6.0 - GTK2 client.

Freeciv is a Free and Open Source empire building strategy game, inspired by the history of human civilization.

preview1.png

Changelog

- Initial release. My first PND, ;)
- Fixed localization support, fixed saves deleting test saves.
- Deleted home folder from PND, create at start it it doesn't exist.
- New upstream version
- Added gtk2 version.
- Added frontend to select sdl or gtk2
- Latest stable release.
- Latest stable release, mostly bugs fixed.
- Sources included in src folder.
- Latest stable release.
- Updated previews.
- Added modpack, manual and server options.
- Latest stable release.
- Latest stable release.
- Latest stable release.
- Updated libs, previews and sources.
- Latest stable release.
- Updated sources.
- Latest stable release.
- Added QT client, compiled with QT 5.7.0 from latest Codeblocks beta PND.
- Removed manual, modpack (substituted by mp-gtk2) and server options.
- Moved appdata/freeciv/home to appdata/freeciv. Old saves may work.
- Updated libs and sources. See NEWS-2.5.
- Latest stable release.
- Latest stable release.
- Latest stable release.
- Removed QT5 client, but will try to restore it again.
- Latest beta release.
- Removed SDL client, but will try to restore it again.
- Updated libs and sources. See NEWS-2.6.

Known bugs: Changing tileset segfaults on sdl.

Link to homepage:
https://freeciv.org
Link to repo:
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=freeciv

Last edited:
good job..

the scrolling without a mouse is not easy , i can't config the nubs !

Last edited by a moderator:
I just can't play this game on the Pandora, The entire GUI and it's elements are just not made for 800x480, you don't even see the little production numbers on the map around the city. I also never found out where the savegames are stored to load my own old games.

Sadly, there is no "mobile" GUI for FreeCiv. ^^"

True. Though it always made me wonder. Civ 1 works perfectly with 320x200 and Civ 2 also is very much playable with 640x480.

How come FreeCiv needs such a high resolution to be enjoyable? :/

At least it'll be a good fit for the Pyra then, with it's 720p screen and 1080p HDMI output.
Well, then the font may be even more tiny to read I suspect. ^^" (2D) PC Games usualy don't have a scaler to enlarge fonts. Iguess you could reduce the games resolution and set it full screen but that would be also not that great.
True. Though it always made me wonder. Civ 1 works perfectly with 320x200 and Civ 2 also is very much playable with 640x480.

How come FreeCiv needs such a high resolution to be enjoyable? :/
They came from another time, where "HD" did not exist. ;) At least Wesnoth and OpenTTD are actualy playable on the Pandora but I still prefer a propper PC Mouse+Keyboard instead for these kind of games. FreeCiv is just purely done for big PC screens and even there alot of the menus is to densed with to tiny fonts and to much stuff on screen for my taste. Civ 5 did actualy a better job there. (I don't mean the overall visuals or graphics)
I guess a game must be made for "mobile usage" when it comes to devices with tiny screens but high Resolution. Plants vs. Zombies plays fine on the PC and the Pandora for example. Doing something like FreeCiv for a mobile device is a hard task I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
FreeCiv was MADE after Civ2. It still is a Civ2 clone / remake. So it should work with that resolution as well.

This is an unfortunate problem that affects many text-heavy ports that run at the native 800x480 resolution - the original games simply weren't designed for a 5" screen. This of course doesn't take away from the coolness of having them available in a portable format (especially since some people have the option for TV-out), but my eyes just aren't strong enough for them. I find text-heavy games with a 240px vertical resolution doubled to fullscreen to be the most enjoyable.

I also never found out where the savegames are stored to load my own old games.
/media/YOURSD/pandora/appdata/freeciv/home/.freeciv/saves

Sadly, there is no "mobile" GUI for FreeCiv. ^^"
Sadly, nobody as far as i know, contributed back to this Free/Libre Software project to do that on OpenPandora...

OpenTTD zoom feature was made for HD resolution, it was a side effect to work well with our low resolution, ;)

At least, with gtk2 version, you can still make fonts bigger. Game ->Options->Fonts

This is an unfortunate problem that affects many text-heavy ports that run at the native 800x480 resolution
True, and i try to do my best to fit them on this low resolution, but sometimes it takes too much time and effort.

I don't complain about your port, you did a good job as usual. :)   Of course you can only port what's there and FreeCiv is what it is. The one interface (not sure which was what) is  more suited for lower res, has bigger buttons for example. I did not much tested it because from the PC I use the bigger interface type (the ugly one).

Well, there is a mobile Civ ou there but no personal experience with that so I can't compare. Overall, games like Civ are not made for tiny handhelds.

Oh, and on TV it looks even worse, at least on my Tv. ^^

Changelog

- Latest stable release.
- Added QT client, compiled with QT 5.7.0 from latest Codeblocks beta PND.
- Removed manual, modpack (substituted by mp-gtk2) and server options.
- Moved appdata/freeciv/home to appdata/freeciv. Old saves may work.

Nice :D Still playing that game regularly on my Pandora :D

I wonder if the QT-Client is better than the SDL-Client...

Changelog

- Latest stable release.

Changelog

- Latest stable release.

Changelog

- Latest stable release.
- Removed QT5 client, but will try to restore it again.

Back