Formido 0.1

madelman

Still Fresh
This is the first release of my collection of game ports for GP2X.

(From the homepage of the game)
Formido is one of those games, where you are loaded with some guns and you go shooting different things. ‘Things’ in this case are big, ugly, - not green though - alien insects. The idea is to kill as many of those bastards as possible. Eventually they will overcome you, but struggle as long as you can. There are some power-ups to aid you in your honorable quest. Keep in mind, that those critters are rather tough and generally do nasty things when in close range of any player-characters.

You can download it at gp2x.de

You can find updated info at my page

This game looks great, very neat graphics.

I am downloading and playing it right now.

Thanks for the port.

Edit: Just played it, looks very good. My only annoyances are with the original game. The guy shoots foward left, so he doesn't shoot at what he is walking at. He is oddly animated, would have been easier if you could always tell exactly where you are pointing the gun. The original turret style control doesn't work very well for me, and occasionally the game is very slightly jerky. I would love it if someone modified the graphic of the main character, and maybe changed the shooting and control positions.

As a port, you did great!!! Plays like the pc version, runs well, has a good button mapping. I think volume control is still lacking. The graphic effects of the game really shine on the gp2x.

Thanks.

I would like to mention that this game won't fit on my card.

I know I have a 64MB card I borrowed from my brother, but still, come on.

It is because there are 511 files and folders in this release.

Size on disk is: 9.85 MB (10,338,304 bytes)

Actual size of these files is: 5.06 MB (5,313,393 bytes)

Only this much is fitting on my card: 4.75 MB (4,984,879 bytes)

I wonder if you could put the data into a single file, would save space.

I realize this must be a Fat32 problem because my NTFS partition stores it as: 5.96 MB (6,250,496 bytes); Much better.

thanks for the scene support though :D

Edit: I got it. Holy Freaking Cow. It is awesome. Thanks for porting it.

Ahh this is a great game!!, too bad the GP2x joystick is sooo retarded, it makes it a bit hard to play when it does not correctly dectect the direction you want.

Fez posted on Feb 11 2006 at 03:31 AM said:
Ahh this is a great game!!, too bad the GP2x joystick is sooo retarded, it makes it a bit hard to play when it does not correctly dectect the direction you want.
*cough*DaveC's Stick*cough*

Last edited by a moderator:
PSyMastR posted on Feb 11 2006 at 11:07 AM said:

DaveC's cap is nice and you can get a better grip on the stick, but thats about it. The joystick is still unresponsive with the tendency towards diagonals.

WhiteFalcon posted on Feb 11 2006 at 10:48 AM said:

DaveC's cap is nice and you can get a better grip on the stick, but thats about it. The joystick is still unresponsive with the tendency towards diagonals.

Mine works fine with Dave's capmod.. ;)

Silberstein posted on Feb 11 2006 at 09:07 AM said:
WhiteFalcon posted on Feb 11 2006 at 10:48 AM said:

Mine works fine with Dave's capmod.. ;)
the deadzone is greatly reduced IMO, but still there no doubt. I fucked up numerous times whilst playing tetris :angry:

Thanks! it's great to see another one of the pc games I play frequently ported to the 2x. I got my whole CS class hooked on formido.

this doesnt seem to control well for me. does it control well for others or at least those that don't have joystick issues. it could be that this is just the initial port and control will be improved.

fun game havent played it before but played a very similar game called phobia 2 that i liked quite a bit.

This looks like a fun time-waster game, but there are some problems that need to be solved.

The controls are poor at best. The current setup just isn't working. There is an options menu where you could change the controls. I thought that I could assign walk forward/reverse to X/Y or some kind of new scheme like that. The problem is that the control change input doesn't work at all, and if you try to do it, you won't be able to control the guy anymore.

Another thing is that it's not obvious which direction he's going to shoot. If you play a bit, you can figure it out, but it would be nice if there was some sort of sight or pointer on the sprite that would make it appearant where he's aiming.

Madelman: I have been watching your porting progress, and I think it's great. I just hope that you take the time to listen to the input that people are giving you on these boards and release v.0.2 of each game with the bugs fixed. Either that or you could release the code.

Thanks!!!

I'm going to release the code when I have finished publishing the games. I'm required to do it, as they are all under GPL licence :)

So, if anyone wants it before ask it to me, but I would like to package them properly before releasing it.

Back