For us oldschool MAC users

abbibi

Website
www.portablesofdoom.org
ID fathered the market of 3D shooters on PCs with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. But at the same time, a company was doing the same for the Macintosh: Bungie. Bungie is currently well known for their game Halo. Now, before you go on a rant about how Bungie sold out by letting themselves get bought by Microsoft (I think they soldout myself), lets look at the 3D games they made when the company consisted of just 2 guys in a basement:

Pathways Into Darkness: Basically, a 3D shooter combined with a text adventure.
Pathways pic
Marathon: The DOOM for the Mac! Ahhhh.... the memories....
Marathon pic
And then Marathon 2: Durandal and Marathon Infinity.

Now you're probably asking yourself, "So?" Marathon, unlike Wolf3D or Doom, had a PLOT. And good LORD, it was a good one! Porting this sucker to the GP32 would make my wildest dreams come true! If you have access to a Mac, I stongly recommend you check out Marathon. It's got a real "Alien" feel to it that just creeped me out. Like the various AI computers that switch between trying to help and trying to kill you. The aliens that silently follow you around, waiting to shoot you RIGHT when you notice them. Or the civilian colonists (who you are trying to same), some of them turned into ticking time-bombs. *sigh*

Um, I believe I clearly stated that this isn't Apple software, it's Bungie software. But I must say, I'm relieved to see you keeping an open mind, and not simply jumping to conclusions and basing your opinion off of biased assumptions. Thank you :)

I hate all computers systems. They could all be a lot better than they are. But you don't hear me compaining.

...except right now. :lol:

Anyways, there would be some problems converting Marathon to the GP32, because Marathon uses mouse for direction, and the directional keypads for movement. We've already used up all the buttons on the GP32, and we still need to fit in the mous button, weapon selection, and the action button. Not to mention "jump". Perhaps if the directional pad was used for turning, the A button used for shooting, the select button used for "back", the B button used for "forward", the L/R buttons used for strafing, both L/R buttons togethr for jumping, the start button used for "action", and both the start and A buttons used to activate a menu to change weapons and such, we might be possible. Wait a minute, was there a "duck" function too? DAMMIT!!!

im sure I posted somewhere a table of button functions that should be used in FPS games

It included look up and down, duck, jump, open, shoot, strafe, turn left, turn right, walk forward, walk backward, and a few extra spots that can be used depending on the game (map buttons for example)

OK - you got my attention; sounds good if someone's going to do it. Of course, its reltively rare that someone actually says they *will*, but it'd be nice if they did :)

Any idea what the game is actually done in?

UP(DPAD)=FOWARD
DOWN(DPAD)=BACK
LEFT(DPAD)=LEFT
RIGHT(DPAD)=RIGHT

UP(DPAD)+B=LOOK UP
DOWN(DPAD)+B=LOOK DOWN
LEFT(DPAD)+B=LOOK LEFT
RIGHT(DPAD)+B=LOOK RIGHT

A=FIRE
B=JUMP

L=STRAFE LEFT
R=STRAFE RIGHT

SEL+L=SWITCH LEFT
SEL+R=SWITCH RIGHT

Hmm, interesting ideas about the buttons, but I don't think they'd work (including my own brainstorm) because of the way Marathon is played. It's not like Doom, where shots will fly up or down to hit a target. You have to AIM in Marathon. So the directional pad needs to be devoted to mouse movements. Also, you get almost no ammo in the game, and have to switch often between weapons to use the minimal power needed to take the enemy out. I played it again last night. The aliens shoot and run away! It's fun chasing them down.

My brother is friends with the original bungie team. I'm visiting him this week. I will show him the power of the GP32, and he will in turn present this power to bungie. They will have no choice but to comply.... MWAHAHAAA!!!!

kitsune posted on May 31 2003 said:
I would just like to point out that Apple software has and allways will, SUCK!!!
youre just like a little kid... haha... dont go outta your way to be a dick.

even your signature is an asshole thing to say.

dont make fun of something you cant comprehend. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
...and what did the bungie guys say about gp32?

I browsed the source a little bit. I could be wrong, but it seems to be rendered in 320x240 and then sized to 640x480 with some valkyrie tricks.

Are there any people out there who want to work with me on a port?

The app of M. Infinity is about 1MB needs min 3 MB on a PPC Mac.
and it works fine on a 66mhz 68k mac

Isn't that a base for successful porting?

So, there is another thread where the last post is telling octavious to chill out. ITs the one about chatboars, I thought it was kinda funny all the trouble that kid gets himself into. I wonder what drives him.

Back