Flicker Driving Me Nuts

odessa

Still Fresh
Hi!
I just got gp2x, I really like it except for one thing, strange random split-second flicker.
I looked around here and people are getting the same thing at boot time but it seems to be normal. If I move joystick as soon as gp2x boots I get a flicker, if I go to usb in setting it flickers, if I exit usb it flickers. These aren't really problems I can't live without. The problem is that the same flicker happens in anything else I do, any games I play, no matter the emulator. I can be playing and every few minutes I get a split second screen flick just like the one during menu operations. It's very annoying because it's frequent enough to keep reminding you that it's there. Do you guys have any clue if there's anything I can do about it?

Thanks

It seems that you have to send your GP2X back for repair/replacement.

But before that, try upgrading to the new 2.1 Firmware, as it seems to handle CPU clocking different, which might eliminate the flicker.

flickering was "normal" on the first first editions, theres a simple fix that involves replaeing a resistor, i dotn know wich one through.
Easiest for you would be to send it in for repair, should be free.

He doesn´t mean that constant light flicker (which i also had) of some first editions. He means the effect you get when you power on your gp2x and the menu appears.

I also get this but I have the first edition: GP2XV100-00000184
I have also upgraded the firmware and get the same results odessa, should I return mine also?
(I thought it was normal to have this flicker :S, though it is very annoying)

for my GP2x mk1 with firmeware 2.0 or 2.1 when i go to the "Setting" "LCD" menu and change the bar my screen don't flicker anymore.

Fishbong posted on Oct 21 2006 at 08:31 AM said:
I just installed the new FW and there´s no flicker at all!
So your flickers schould be gone too!

do you mean the 2.1 firmware? I have the latest gp2x with 2.0 firmware. I do mean the flicker when you start the unit, not what some of you had with the first edition (from what I read). It's a small split second intermittent flash, it seems like an overlay of shifted image appears on the screen for a split second and then disappears. It looks like a hardware issue but it might be fixable in firmware. Also, when I move LCD setting nothing changes, I don't quite understand what it's for.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Just upgraded to new firmware, the flicker in the menu is gone but still happens in games :(

odessa posted on Oct 21 2006 at 07:39 PM said:
It's a small split second intermittent flash, it seems like an overlay of shifted image appears on the screen for a split second and then disappears.

i have that with squidgesnes .38 and .39, doesnt happen at all with other emulators....
what emulators were you using when you experienced this ?

Samba Pa Ti posted on Oct 22 2006 at 02:05 PM said:
odessa posted on Oct 21 2006 at 07:39 PM said:
It's a small split second intermittent flash, it seems like an overlay of shifted image appears on the screen for a split second and then disappears.

i have that with squidgesnes .38 and .39, doesnt happen at all with other emulators....
what emulators were you using when you experienced this ?

Do you have ram hack enabled in that emulator? I'm starting to believe that it might be tight ram timings that are responsible for this bug.

odessa posted on Oct 22 2006 at 06:40 PM said:
Do you have ram hack enabled in that emulator? I'm starting to believe that it might be tight ram timings that are responsible for this bug.

hmm i might of had it on, i dont have any flicker in drmd or gngeo just squidge snes its like a grey screen comming from the top left for a second, it doesnt bother me that much since its only on one emulator

EDIT

just reading the other threads and notice this...

Alvin posted on Oct 22 2006 at 08:32 PM said:
Just tried Contra3, runs full speed with FSAuto with sound at best, although it doesn't actually play sound. It used to fine. That's at 280Mhz.

Super Mario All Stars runs perfect everywhere with best sound @ 280Mhz. Great work :)

Edit: SMAS seems to flick black or something evey now and then very quickly.

Thats the only flicker i have noticed, if thats not what you're describing then it is probably a hardware issue =/

Back