Flashing Firmware And "autobrick"

mac_d4di

Still Fresh
Hello there, had my gp2x for a few days now and am running firmware 2.0.0, thinking of upgrading FW but dont have ac adaptor, I have done my research and there seems to be a lot of bricks through doing this.
I flashed my PSP fw loads of times up and down and custom firmwares, no problem, What I want to know is how safe is flashing fw (With fresh set of rechargables) and also I read about this autobrick thing were the gp2x decides to upgrade fw with no files on the sd card (resulting in a brick), how can I be sure this will not happen except booting up without sd card inserted I read I have to press Start + Select on bootup to initiate upgrade... is this true.
Many thanks for any help

Make sure you have a New or FULLY charged set of bat. Also if you are going to 3.0 make sure there is nothing stored in your nand mem.

Format a SD and unzip the files to the root dir. Press and hold START SELECT turn on put it down and wait for it to finish.

Autobricking doesn't happen any more. It is actually perfectly safe to upgrade the firmware as long as you never put *any* gp2xboot.img on the SD card. You shouldn't ever need to upgrade the bootloader anyway.

thankyou for your sugestions very informative, what about firmwares a lot of people dont seem to like 3.0 why is this ?
Should I go for 2.1.1 and if so do I have to go for 2.1.0 first and then upgrade to 2.1.1.

thanks again

Firmware 3.0 is a bit slower and offers no new features. If you already have it, don't downgrade, but since you already have 2.0, there is no reason to upgrade to it either.
You should be able to go straight to 2.1.1 from 2.0, but if you want to be sure, it won't do any harm to go via 2.1.0 :)

mac_d4di said:
thankyou for your sugestions very informative, what about firmwares a lot of people dont seem to like 3.0 why is this ?
Should I go for 2.1.1 and if so do I have to go for 2.1.0 first and then upgrade to 2.1.1.

thanks again

I think peoples main gripe about 3.0 is the longer boot up time, that and it really doesn't offer any upgrades over 2.1.1

I really suggest you go for 2.1.1 its great!

And yes you can upgrade directly from 2.0.0 to 2.1.1, no need to go to 2.1.0 first. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
wow that was quick thanks for your replies.
Good advice going to go to 2.1.1 when I have a full set of batteries just to make sure.

thanks again

alright one more question and thats it
I recently aquired a GP32 and it had aquafish multi fw on it, are there any custom firmwares for GP2X and how good are they (i.e any new features) or should I stay with the official firmwares.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back