Flash Related Question

That still doesn't mean they own any rights at all to it. Also, the Palm Pre gets Flash 10.1 as well, as do a lot of other ARM devices. Maybe Palm or Nokia payed to get it a little early but they certainly did not buy exclusive rights to Flash from Adobe.

Gricey said:
I have an N900. Flash works, its good, but not perfect. Example being that iPlayer loads, but is too jerky to use. So, maybe the grunt just isnt there.
This is probably the case - IMO you're better off downloading and converting the videos (get_iplayer will do this if you're in the UK, too bad I'm not).

As I've mentioned before, 480p Hulu video barely plays smoothly for me at 800x600 on a Pentium 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gricey said:
I have an N900. Flash works, its good, but not perfect. Example being that iPlayer loads, but is too jerky to use. So, maybe the grunt just isnt there.

It should be possible though. This is the sort of thing I want to use the devfund for: $5,000 for the first person who gets the iPlayer working! Etc.

I should probably point out this isn't a real reward (yet).

craigix said:
Gricey said:

It should be possible though. This is the sort of thing I want to use the devfund for: $5,000 for the first person who gets the iPlayer working! Etc.

I should probably point out this isn't a real reward (yet).

Have someone on your team contact Adobe. They appear to be highly annoyed with Apple right now...
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-ipad-adobe-flash-fail,9531.html

And the Open Screen Project claims to have as it's objective having flash work everywhere...
Open Screen Project:
http://www.openscreenproject.org/

What better device to have an openscreenproject working on than the openpandora?

Iplayer and hulu should work with xbmc... it has already been ported to the beagleboard.

Can Gnash be ported? It plays youtube great, doesn't it? Also various other movies.

According to the site, it supports Most Flash 7 stuff, some 8 and some 9. Flash 10 doesn't seem so important to me, as mainly games use it. I can live without flash games if I have emulators! better music, physics, and story!

Willrandship said:
Can Gnash be ported? It plays youtube great, doesn't it? Also various other movies.

According to the site, it supports Most Flash 7 stuff, some 8 and some 9. Flash 10 doesn't seem so important to me, as mainly games use it. I can live without flash games if I have emulators! better music, physics, and story!
You've never used Gnash.
It supports YouTube adequately, and does some Flash things, most of the time. When it isn't crashing or consuming huge amounts of CPU time.
It's... better than nothing.
But for YouTube, there would be a way bigger effect / cost ratio if we built a browser script to rip the video URLs so VLC would play them. This is pretty easy to do, we just need to install a browser script for it somehow.

You could almost be talking about x86 Linux! Let's see how this works...

lulzfish said:
You've never used Flash.
It supports YouTube adequately, and does some Flash things, most of the time. When it isn't crashing or consuming huge amounts of CPU time.
But for YouTube, there would be a way bigger effect / cost ratio if we built a browser script to rip the video URLs so VLC would play them. This is pretty easy to do, we just need to install a browser script for it somehow.

Youtube's HTML5 support should basically give you the video URL directly; you'd just need to write a decoder, and spoof user-agent because oddly enough they're reportedly dumb enough to use browser sniffing.

OrR said:
That still doesn't mean they own any rights at all to it. Also, the Palm Pre gets Flash 10.1 as well, as do a lot of other ARM devices. Maybe Palm or Nokia payed to get it a little early but they certainly did not buy exclusive rights to Flash from Adobe.
Unless I'm misunderstanding Wiz's point, he's saying the plugin is owned by Nokia, and that's the plugin that was being discussed about getting running on the Pandora. (which does not in anyway mean exclusive rights to Flash)
Now what their deal with Adobe is I don't know, could be a timed release, could be exclusive rights to that particular plugin, may be absolutely nothing, but either way the actual plugin that their running is bought and paid for by Nokia and therefore probably copyright protected.

I'm not saying Adobe doesn't have any other plugins etc that could work on Arm/Pandora, just saying that Nokia's plugin is there's, until we're told otherwise officially at least.

Laurencevde said:
Anyone have objections against a script that downloads the n900-image, extracts the flash-plugin, and installs it on the pandora? }:

I own an N900 and you have to enter your IMEI to download the firmware image. I think that makes it pretty clear what their reaction would be if people start ripping the firmware apart for components. That leaves the only option being for someone who owns an N900 to upload the flash plugin somewhere, which would be clearly illegal.

So whatever you do, it would be outright unquestionably illegal because only someone who owns an N900 has the right to download the image, and NOBODY has the right to host it (at least the closed source binaries) on their servers except Nokia. This is probably also one reason why the SDK does not have a complete ARM environment, most testing has to be done compiled as x86 code, because you do not have to own an N900 to use the SDK.

Na-Noo said:
Unless I'm misunderstanding Wiz's point, he's saying the plugin is owned by Nokia, and that's the plugin that was being discussed about getting running on the Pandora. (which does not in anyway mean exclusive rights to Flash)
Adobe: We have this plugin, but it needs some tweaking and stuff filled in to make it run on specific devices. This is going to take some time.
Nokia: Here's a hundred bajillion dollars. Give us teh codez and we'll make it work on our system first!
Adobe: cha-ching
Nokia: HAH! We are first, suckers.
GP32X: Hmmm, I wonder if we can take this plugin and use it for our own nefarious purposes.
Nokia: NO! Mai bucketplugin!

Anywho, bad jokes aside, that's basically why using Nokia's plugin wouldn't be entirely legal. Adobe has said there'll be an ARM/Linux plugin at the end of 2009 so we wouldn't have to use Nokia's plugin. I'm sure it's only 2 months away.

That's why I say that the Nokia plugin isn't just available for us to use like it's freeware or something, but that doesn't mean Nokia has the sole Flash rights. There not the same thing.

Like you said I'm sure Adobe will release their arm version like they said (going by your time estimates exactly when Pandora is due :lol: ), but that doesn't mean it will be the Nokia plugin. ;)

And of course those of us with an N900 are looking forward to 10.1 support too mostly due to GPU acceleration support.

Playing back video without GPU help is plain silly, just hammers your battery and stutters somewhat until its fully cached. Its really poor compared to playing back using the media player.

Nvidia are showing flash on tegra2, but I guess that is a different custom build with their graphics acceleration.

lulzfish said:
You've never used Gnash.
Midori supports GreaseMonkey style scripts, so overriding video sites with VLC should be breezy.

Not really up on the different types of ARM architectures myself. Is this relevant:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/26/flash-10-1-snubbing-non-armv7-android-devices-too/

The same Adobe employee who mentioned on Adobe's official forums that Flash 10.1 would be blowing right past Windows Mobile 6.5 made another notable comment, too: on Android, they'll be conveniently overlooking devices that aren't based on an ARMv7 core like a Snapdragon or OMAP3 -- in other words, pretty much every device of consequence except the Nexus One, HTC Desire, Acer Liquid, Motorola Droid / Milestone, and Sony Ericsson X10.

Correct me if I'm wrong...that's us screwed as far as 10.1 goes, right?

Back