budbud said:
Just wanted to get a strait answer from forums ,
about the "Farmville" game .. My wife would love to play it
on the Pandora while I'm working..
My question is will the Pandora be able to play
this game with the Latest Adobe Flash or is it
still a no go?
Thanks Bud
At the moment, no. It doesn't work in gnash, and the official adobe flash plugin "can't" run on the Pandora. "can't" because someone may, eventually, be able to figure out how to do so.
Things are looking up, though. There's great strides in making a javascript based flash player.
So one of three things needs to happen: Adobe gets its collective heads out of each other's asses and releases the plugin source so we can get an "official" release; someone figures a way of getting the Nokia plugin to work and "accidentally" leaks it onto the internet; or gnash, Gordon, or some other open source flash player gets good enough to actually handle these things.
The second is the most likely to occur first, although there's no telling when that will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
budbud said:
Just wanted to get a strait answer from forums ,
about the "Farmville" game .. My wife would love to play it
on the Pandora while I'm working..
My question is will the Pandora be able to play
this game with the Latest Adobe Flash or is it
still a no go?
Thanks Bud
At the moment, no. It doesn't work in gnash, and the official adobe flash plugin "can't" run on the Pandora. "can't" because someone may, eventually, be able to figure out how to do so.
Things are looking up, though. There's great strides in making a javascript based flash player.
So one of three things needs to happen: Adobe gets its collective heads out of each other's asses and releases the plugin source so we can get an "official" release; someone figures a way of getting the Nokia plugin to work and "accidentally" leaks it onto the internet; or gnash, Gordon, or some other open source flash player gets good enough to actually handle these things.
The second is the most likely to occur first, although there's no telling when that will be.

When reading the unofficial blog , I read that "N900 and Pandora share a heart & soul – the OMAP3530" then from this video back on Oct 07 2009 http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/07/nokia-shows-off-n900s-sweet-web-browsing-skills-on-video/ shows farmville being played (@ 2min mark) , Just thought it would be possible by now ..Thanks Bud

budbud said:
When reading the unofficial blog , I read that "N900 and Pandora share a heart & soul – the OMAP3530" then from this video back on Oct 07 2009 http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/07/nokia-shows-off-n900s-sweet-web-browsing-skills-on-video/ shows farmville being played (@ 2min mark) , Just thought it would be possible by now ..Thanks Bud
That is an official plugin that Nokia has paid for. Putting it on the Pandora is questionably legal, hence why I suggested someone "accidentally" drop it on the internet.
Further, just because they have the same architecture doesn't mean they're 1:1 compatible. There could be differences in the OS or extra devices that make the plugin incompatible without some reworking. I'm sure that eventually someone will get the Nokia plugin working on the Pandora, it'll just take time. Given that very few developers have a Pandora, and getting Flash to work is a low priority against getting the OS working, and the often easier tasks of recompiling actual open source applications, I wouldn't expect it to be possible until after the first batch ships and more developers with a greater interest in Flash get ahold of them. But it will happen eventually, mark my words.

Sphinxter said:
Eventually maybe;
http://www.arm.com/news/26062.html
10.1 should happen this year. With ARM based devices getting powerful enough to run Flash the pressure is probably quite high on Adobe, there are ARM processors pretty much everywhere.

Awakening said:
Sphinxter said:
10.1 should happen this year. With ARM based devices getting powerful enough to run Flash the pressure is probably quite high on Adobe, there are ARM processors pretty much everywhere.
Unfortunately adobe moves at the speed of a banana slug racing across a salt lick. It will probably take just as long as the 64bit linux plug-in.

did anybody else think of flams when reading the title? the drumming rudiment?

Laurencevde said:
Anyone have objections against a script that downloads the n900-image, extracts the flash-plugin, and installs it on the pandora? }:

Probably similar to the number of people who object to emulators in general. Do it, and we will all love you eventually. It probably won't ever be integrated into the OS though, as we want to big fancy lawsuits.

I think it's pertinent to say that with the adoption of the HTML 5 video tag by YouTube and Vimeo among others Adobe will want to keep marketshare by making Flash available on as many platforms as possible. Ultimately a completely free solution not using H.264 but Ogg Theora would be great for video. However as for Flash I believe this movement towards a more free solution will bring Flash to more platforms, already promised.

Gnash isn't too usable at the moment, I gave it a go the other day and practically nothing worked, in my limited testing.

harvest-moon-friends-of-mineral-town-gba.440970.jpg

It is possible to make flash work with the real Adobie software for ARM but you will have to acquire and set it up yourself. No doubt someone will at some point explain how to do that.

lulzfish said:
Nova said:
Harvest Moon
Let me be the first to say "wtf i dont get it"

Pretty sure he's saying "Farmville isn't worth effort to get running but this game is very similar and will probably work with very little effort." :)

craigix said:
It is possible to make flash work with the real Adobie software for ARM but you will have to acquire and set it up yourself. No doubt someone will at some point explain how to do that.
How about we try to get permission to distribute a working version from Adobe? It's in their interest to have flash running on anything, including the Pandora. They probably won't put any effort into a very small userbase but on the other hand, it makes no sense for them to forbid distribution of a working flash plugin for the Pandora either.

OrR said:
How about we try to get permission to distribute a working version from Adobe? It's in their interest to have flash running on anything, including the Pandora. They probably won't put any effort into a very small userbase but on the other hand, it makes no sense for them to forbid distribution of a working flash plugin for the Pandora either.
Because it's not up to Adobe. It's Nokia's plugin, they own the rights to it. I doubt they'd be willing to share out of the goodness of their heart.

WizardStan said:
OrR said:
Because it's not up to Adobe. It's Nokia's plugin, they own the rights to it. I doubt they'd be willing to share out of the goodness of their heart.
I highly doubt it's nokia's plugin. On the other side, they'd would maybe be pissed of that they had to pay for it while OpenPandora get it for free.
Still, supporting virtually any arm-platform always seemed the goal for 10.1 to me.

conso said:
I highly doubt it's nokia's plugin. On the other side, they'd would maybe be pissed of that they had to pay for it while OpenPandora get it for free.
Still, supporting virtually any arm-platform always seemed the goal for 10.1 to me.
Nokia paid money for adobe to make flash work on their systems, ergo it is Nokia's plugin.

Back