flash player?

Latest Minitube works, just needs to be recompiled. StreaK/commander-beef has vanished from existence yet again so the YouTube Player app will not be updated for a while.

But at my surprise, Youtube Videos are running full speed on iPhones and iPod Touch Devices and this is instant, so I guess no converting or anything. How does Apple solved this, especialy that we know how they are against Flash? Dirty Tricks? Magic? Something we can steal...borrow for Pandora too? ^^
youtube detects that the device you are using is a ipad/iphone/ipod touch and therefore redirects you to their dedicated iDevice site which uses html 5. it has nothing to do with apple. it it youtube that enabled you to watch youtube on your iDevice.

Minitube left me baffled as to why it wouldn't let me set the resolution lower than 360p. Or did I miss something?

Check the video in a browser. Not all videos have resolutions lower than 360p.

But at my surprise, Youtube Videos are running full speed on iPhones and iPod Touch Devices and this is instant, so I guess no converting or anything. How does Apple solved this, especialy that we know how they are against Flash? Dirty Tricks? Magic? Something we can steal...borrow for Pandora too? ^^
youtube detects that the device you are using is a ipad/iphone/ipod touch and therefore redirects you to their dedicated iDevice site which uses html 5. it has nothing to do with apple. it it youtube that enabled you to watch youtube on your iDevice.
But how do they get html5 Videos that fluid? Like already mentioned, html5 is nearly "unplayable" on the Pandora, even at 1GHz. :(

"Minitube" could be a solution for Pandora but I find it just weird. You can't just load a single Video, you can't prevent autoplay, you can't prevent playlists, you actualy can't control anything, when you only want to play one single Video for instance. You can't even browse youtube comfortably. Whoever made Minitube, usability was not his main focus... And even with Minitube, streaming Videos is a pain, maybe because of WiFi issues or lack of cache or whatever. They can play fluid, even 360p but you have to preload the entire Video, not very comforable.

I really hope, that Minitube will be more useful one day, or another Solution like the Aplle one uses is choosen. Pandora should actualy be powerful enough for fluid html5 Video streaming. If the available Pandora Browsers can use HW acceleration for this, it should be possible I guess.

Most of html5 videos are h264 encoded, for decent playback on the Pandora you would need to have a working DSP setup (memory allocated for the DSP) and a player that was optimized to use the DSP to play h264 videos at a decent speed.

Check the video in a browser. Not all videos have resolutions lower than 360p.
It

It's not a matter of what video it is, it's matter of what player you're watching it in. Only the Flash player can show 240p, the HTML5 player only works at 360p or greater.

Most of html5 videos are h264 encoded, for decent playback on the Pandora you would need to have a working DSP setup (memory allocated for the DSP) and a player that was optimized to use the DSP to play h264 videos at a decent speed.

Are you sure about that? My impression reading the HTML5 page is that they're encoded in both WebM and h.264, and that Firefox only supports WebM.

Are you sure about that? My impression reading the HTML5 page is that they're encoded in both WebM and h.264, and that Firefox only supports WebM.

Well I was talking broader scale than just youtube. That's besides the point, WebM most likely takes just as much processing power to decode. So decoding would still be improved if the Pandora had a working DSP video player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm, is there a way to get it fluid without the DSP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I guess we can note to ourselves and keeping it in mind for the upcoming "Pandora2": "building in a DSP we can actualy use without trouble" :D

Ok, I guess we can note to ourselves and keeping it in mind for the upcoming "Pandora2": "building in a DSP we can actualy use without trouble" :D

Well, except for the fact that you can't choose your DSP, it's built-in the SoC.

And besides, the DSP can be used without trouble - if someone would code for it ;)

Well, except for the fact that you can't choose your DSP, it's built-in the SoC.

And besides, the DSP can be used without trouble - if someone would code for it ;)
Yeah, I actualy meant that. ;) But if it's hard or complicated to code it, then it would be just logical to go an more easy and "accessible" way the next time. Because it always depends on that "somebody codes it". ^^

The DSP is part of the SoC but it could be a good idea to look for an Processor necxt time that makes coding for as easy as possible, at least I would do it. Nobody want's super power Hardware that is to complex to code for, I still remember the old "Sega Saturn" issue for instance.

i have an old asus eee pc with firefox 2 installed and since the browser is so old it forces the video into 240p doesnt matter which video i watch.

Back