flash player?

There's a flash 11 beta. It was accidentally included in FireFox and no one has remembered to remove it yet. It is stable but only fast enough to play youtube videos at 240. It does pretty well with vector animations though, but a lot of games are likely to be slideshows. No, it will not be getting any better, ever. Adobe has abandoned the mobile market and will no longer be working on the Flash for ARM project.

If someone can point me to the latest/best version of a flash plugin for ARM, i may include it in Slackware.

You can't. Redistribution is against the terms of the download. I certainly wouldn't suggest pulling it out of the Firefox PND.

Adobe says a lot of things...

but Adobe knows 'flash' is slowly dieing and so it's moving away from it.

So i can set up an installer.
The download from TI requires a login and approval. Go to www.ti.com/myregisteredsoftware and create an account, search for flash (sorry, I can't remember the exact link to it) and request. After a couple of weeks you'll either be approved or denied, and then you'll be able to download it.

Yes, but it's bad.

Anyway, now with html 5, flash will be totally forgotten within a few years.

is there no open source flash player?

Gnash is one of the GNU Project's high priorities. The problem is Adobe put an anti-competitive condition in the EULA for Flash which is probably not enforceable, but since no one is willing to risk it, the only developers of Gnash are people who have never accepted the Flash EULA. You can probably imagine how small the number of people who fit that description is, and more importantly, this means they require users to do the testing.

Gnash isn't bad, it works perfectly fine considering its alpha status. The problem is it's only compatible up to Flash 8 (in particular, the old version of ActionScript) right now, and a lot of stuff needs Flash 9 or 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
But at my surprise, Youtube Videos are running full speed on iPhones and iPod Touch Devices and this is instant, so I guess no converting or anything. How does Apple solved this, especialy that we know how they are against Flash? Dirty Tricks? Magic? Something we can steal...borrow for Pandora too? ^^

There are a few dedicated yt player for the pandora already, aren't there?

Back