Flash Player On Pandora

Dead1nside said:
What I don't get is, is this beta plugin? Didn't someone try this when it first came out and it basically didn't work very well at all, unable to play YouTube videos? If so what's changed? Is it just that they updated the beta plugin once?

Thanks. I'm very happy that it works. What's the difference between the n900 plugin and this ti beta plugin?

Are you sure that wasn't someone trying out gnash?

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
Dead1nside said:
What I don't get is, is this beta plugin? Didn't someone try this when it first came out and it basically didn't work very well at all, unable to play YouTube videos? If so what's changed? Is it just that they updated the beta plugin once?

Thanks. I'm very happy that it works. What's the difference between the n900 plugin and this ti beta plugin?

Are you sure that wasn't someone trying out gnash?

-God Ginrai

Here's the original thread http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56799-flash-plugin-for-cortex-a8/page__p__930194__hl__ti%20flash%20plugin__fromsearch__1&#entry930194

Seems like it's a combination of things, there's a mention of YouTube at 240p but that even vector games run poorly, however if it's running Farmville, that's quite a big test isn't it? That's why I was getting jumbled up a bit, the fact that if it did work reasonably -- which it appears to -- why wasn't there a bigger fanfare before Christmas? So I'm happy to see some videos of it now. I certainly hope it doesn't remain just a test, it's very desirable to me. Maybe OP can speak to TI to see what their plans are for it?

MonkeyChops said:
oh yea, 1000mhz

I just realized that you can run videos at 240p with 500mhz pretty smoothly. I originally oc'd to try to get 360p smooth, which it did help with, and then dropped the resolution. Sorry for the confusion. :blush:

Seems to be running very similarly to the generic linux demo TI released back in September. That's kind of disappointing. :(

edit: Oh. It IS the exact same generic linux demo TI released back in September (updated in December, but no speed increases).
Bah, I was hoping this was something new TI had been working on.

It performs so poorly as it's not accelerated by the DSP.

This isn't because of the Pandora's kernel lacking DSP accel either. On the N900 it's actually a big performance drop going from flash 9.4 to this plugin because the 9.4 plugin is accelerated and the beta 10.1 plugin is not.

Does anyone know a way to get Fennec to use this plugin? I have it in the location indicated by OP, no good. I opened up the Fennec PND and added the plugin to it's plugin folder, no good. Any other ideas?

BackAssward said:
Does anyone know a way to get Fennec to use this plugin? I have it in the location indicated by OP, no good. I opened up the Fennec PND and added the plugin to it's plugin folder, no good. Any other ideas?

Judging from what I've read about the Maemo version, maybe open about:config and do a search for "flash" or "plugin", set it to on.

Dead1nside said:
BackAssward said:

Judging from what I've read about the Maemo version, maybe open about:config and do a search for "flash" or "plugin", set it to on.

Yeah, I found that with som research after the above post. In about:config, set plugin.disable to false. Still no go. Might fiddle with it some more later. Thanks for the reply.

Oh, I had a previous version of the Fennec.pnd before, and there was no plugin folder in appdata, but this version of Fennec does have such a folder. Regardless, adding the flash plugin there didn't change anything.

Hello,

I install Firefox " opkg install firefox " on my pandora.

When i run it from network ---> firefox browser, I have an error : SQLite Version Error " The application has been updated, but your version of SQlite is too old and the application cannot run "

How can i do to upgrade SQLite or to resolve my problem please ? ( to run firefox from NAND )

nb : when i run firefox version 4.0 beta 10 or 3.16 ( .pnd file ) with libflashplugin.so in plugins directory, it work but to slow with 240p movies at 750 mhz.

It's best not to install Firefox. Really, it's best not to install anything. The PND system was put in place for that very reason, so you wouldn't have to worry about installing things to NAND, worry about dependencies, so on and so forth.
Just download one of these (Firefox or Chromium are good choices, and I've heard Fenec is nice too), and copy the PND file that it downloads to your SD card under the directory /pandora/desktop (to appear on the desktop. /menu and it will appear in the menu)

I find to upgrade sqlite 3.0 in my pandora with terminal :)
Thanks WizardStan.

For chromium, where can i copy libflashplugin.so file in sd card ?

fettouhi said:
Seems like the flashplugin from TI was updated again on the 28th of February and it seems to have HW acceleration now.

I wonder whether the DM3730 excludes us, if I remember correctly this is just the successor to the SoC we're using. Certainly interesting. Pandora could get decent Flash before my N900.

fettouhi said:
Seems like the flashplugin from TI was updated again on the 28th of February and it seems to have HW acceleration now.
Yes. It doesn't do us any good since we still don't have a DSP bridge in the kernel.

WizardStan said:
fettouhi said:
Yes. It doesn't do us any good since we still don't have a DSP bridge in the kernel.
Maybe it can be guided to NEON instead or another "hardware thingy" that accelerates this stuff? (Noob-suggestion of course) ^^""""

fusion_power said:
WizardStan said:
fettouhi said:
Maybe it can be guided to NEON instead or another "hardware thingy" that accelerates this stuff? (Noob-suggestion of course) ^^""""

Also a noob when it comes to matters like these, but I'd much rather we get DSP working, as there are so many things that we could take advantage of, the Flash Player beta being one of them. It doesn't sound easy, and there's a good page on the wiki about it. There will potentially be more impetus when work on Release 2 of the firmware increases, but it's still going to require someone with skill and motivation, as always, in order to implement it.

I installed in the libflashplugin.so from TI under /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ and it seems to work fine with issues here and there. After some testing I decided to remove it and go back to swfec plugin (had renamed it libswfeclashplugin.so.old). Now here is the odd part firefox still reports that the adobe flashplugin is still present but /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins only contains the swfdec plugins. I then checked the squashfs mounting point and I found it under /mnt/umtp/firefox/lib/mozilla/plugins/. Why is it there in the pnd now? I tried now downloading the pnd again but it is still there. WHY?

Back