Flash on Firefox with Shumway instead of official plugin

Ahah, I figured out where my problem was, why it didn't seem like the plugin was working at all. For those that were also stuck like me, here's the process.

You still need to have the flash plugin installed. Go to about:config and set plugins.click_to_play to true, and shumway.ignoreCTP to true. You may need to create a new boolean for the ignoreCTP.

Restart and whenever it goes to load the flash plugin the shumway takes over. It puts a link in the bottom right corner ("Shumway X") that you can click to go back to regular flash, helpful for comparison or when shumway just doesn't work (and it doesn't work a lot, and crashes Firefox even more). I have not found a single video site that plays yet, they probably say that video playback isn't supported yet but I can't be bothered to read everything.

Ahah, I figured out where my problem was, why it didn't seem like the plugin was working at all. For those that were also stuck like me, here's the process.

You still need to have the flash plugin installed. Go to about:config and set plugins.click_to_play to true, and shumway.ignoreCTP to true. You may need to create a new boolean for the ignoreCTP.

Restart and whenever it goes to load the flash plugin the shumway takes over. It puts a link in the bottom right corner ("Shumway X") that you can click to go back to regular flash, helpful for comparison or when shumway just doesn't work (and it doesn't work a lot, and crashes Firefox even more). I have not found a single video site that plays yet, they probably say that video playback isn't supported yet but I can't be bothered to read everything.
So it works onto the Pandora? How's the performance compared to flash(videos)? Better or worse?

This seems to be a problem with more recent Firefox. It installed but didn't work on FF20, so I updated to FF24, then uninstalled the extension and tried to reinstall but now it's giving me "could not be installed because Firefox cannot modify the necessary file". I tried with a bunch of other extensions as well, they all give the same.

I'm going to file a report with hdonk, or at least read the release thread and see if anyone else has mentioned this.

mount the PND manually and run firefox.sh as root

sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p /media/SDCARD/Pandora/menu/firefox-24.0-0.pnd -b hdonk_firefox_001 -m
cd /mnt/utmp/hdonk_firefox_001
sudo ./firefox.shInstall the extension without issue.No video playback seems to work, as mentioned. Games seem alright, some good and some slow, but in my attempts to get this working I somehow lost my flash plugin. It's still there in the correct directory and everything, FF24 simply refuses to acknowledge it. I've got the gnash based flash player that comes pre-installed on the firmware, but that's slow and out of date as it is and not in anyway suitable for comparison.

Back