Flaming Gotta Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've been noticing that a lot of people are being major jerks. People ask a lot of questions that they don't all know the answers to and instead of acting like you guys have some damn manners you act like a jerk and flame the poor people, of course this is not the group as a whole but the loudest jerks standing out. This has to stop; We are in this as people who love homebrew, technology, and games and while not all of us are that advanced in our technical knowledge, we should be more understanding and provide resources to teach instead of "OH, THIS IDIOT SHOULD KNOW THAT THIS THIS AND THAT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT!" Provide links to information, tell them in a nice way why it won't work, or if you're going to act like an ass just keep your opinions to yourself. I beg of you guys, please act like civilized people, not some damn nerd with no manners.

Okay, but I for one am tired of seeing topic after topic started that covers the same things over and over again, and they're usually of the form "will i be able to do xxxx on the pandora", it's not interesting conversation, it's just a bunch of people who want want want and are too lazy to use the search function to see if it has been answered, often times there's even a topic on the front page already that's about it. I don't feel any community unity as people who love anything, mainly just a bunch of newbs who only care about getting things handed to them. Sorry.

EDIT: For crying out loud, I don't see anyone being a jerk in a SINGLE ONE of those threads you linked, do you seriously find it offensive when someone asks a question that has a simple answer and has been answered several times already gets a one line response and their thread locked?

Exophase said:
Okay, but I for one am tired of seeing topic after topic started that covers the same things over and over again, and they're usually of the form "will i be able to do xxxx on the pandora", it's not interesting conversation, it's just a bunch of people who want want want and are too lazy to use the search function to see if it has been answered, often times there's even a topic on the front page already that's about it. I don't feel any community unity as people who love anything, mainly just a bunch of newbs who only care about getting things handed to them. Sorry.

EDIT: For crying out loud, I don't see anyone being a jerk in a SINGLE ONE of those threads you linked, do you seriously find it offensive when someone asks a question that has a simple answer and has been answered several times already gets a one line response and their thread locked?
You don't find it offensive when they say it in a rude way? How would you like it if I were to reply to a thread that you didn't know. A lot of these people are new to here and they may not know this stuff so instead of flame them, point them to the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
novaslogic said:
You don't find it offensive when they say it in a rude way? How would you like it if I were to reply to a thread that you didn't know. A lot of these people are new to here and they may not know this stuff so instead of flame them, point them to the thread.
The people in those threads weren't being rude. I'm not sure how I'd feel about starting a thread asking for something where several threads have already been started for that purpose before because I probably wouldn't start a thread to nag about something in the first place. But if someone told me it had already been asked and linked me to the thread where it had been answered I'm sure I'd be more embarrassed than offended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good call Fluffy, but I think there's one thing that needs clearing up.

Giving short answers is not "Flaming". Neither is telling someone they've posted in the wrong forum, or pointing out that their question has been asked (and answered) many times already. All of those things fall squarely in the realm of constructive criticism. There is a big difference between "You're doing it wrong" and "You're an idiot".

True, there is a polite way and a rude way to dispense criticism, but polite discourse is a two way street. While some may take it as rude to receive a short answer with a link, I consider it rude to not read the stickies, FAQ, and titles of the posts on the front page before asking a question. If you can't be bothered to take 2 minutes to search for a plainly available answer, then I can't be bothered to type more than the absolute minimum correct response. I find it hard to believe that anybody could be so sensitive as to take offense by this, but not have the courtesy to follow standard internet etiquette and read the FAQ before asking questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back