First time user - very basic (if at all) need help!

spaceharrier

Still Fresh
Hi guys! :rolleyes:

Was wondering if I could get some help - I'm a first time user and I've got little or basic understanding of how to use my Pandora!

I've been able to set up my machine (first time set up) and now I'm stuck!

SDHC

1. I bought a Transcend 32 SDHC but my lap top doesn't accept HC version SD cards - can I insert it in my Pandora and then, connect my Pandora to my computer to transfer files? If so, could I please have some suggestions?

Emulation

1. I've got a range of ROM games - is there an easy steps guide to assist me to create files to be able to play the ROMS? I mean, very basic 'for dummies' help to do it?

2. I want the best Emulator for the following machines - does anyone have any recommendations?

3. Best emulator for - Atari 2600

4. Best emulator for - Atari Lynx

5. Best emulator for - Coleco Vision

6. Best emulator for - MAME

7. Best emulator for - GBA

8. Best emulator for - NES

9. Best emulator for - SNES

10. Best emulator for - N64

11. Best emulator for - Sega Game Gear

12. Best emulator for - Sega CD

13. Best emulator for - Sega Master System

14. Best emulator for - Sega Mega Drive / Genesis

15. Best emulator for - Sega 32x

16. Best emulator for - Neo Geo

17. Best emulator for - Neo Geo Pocket

18. Best emulator for - TuboGrafx 16 / PC Engine

Any help and support would be greatly appreciated, thanking in advance, Space Harrier :)

Last edited by a moderator:
With regards point 1: You can use mass storage mode to lnk to PC and use the Pandora like an SD card reader. Go to the menu (icon or Pandora button) and system>mass storage mode. Then choose which SD card and wait until it unmounts and says its ready. Then connect it via a mini usb cable (pandora end) to usb on the PC and it will appear as a drive.

Point 2. http://pandorapress.net/software-index/ From here you will find the emulators linked and discussion of each one and its set up instructions if they are not included in the documentation. Menu>documentation>appX or pressing Y in minmenu with the application selected.

Have fun!

Welcome. :)

SDHC: Yes, you can just connect the Pandora to your computer. Get a USB to mini USB lead, plug the mini end into Pandora. Now go to Menu -> System -> SD Mass Storage and select which card you want to access from the PC.

Make sure you read the user manual linked here, and set up your card with the correct folders.

Emulators:

1. Most ROMs should be ready to go as-is, just install the emulators. MAME is a different story, these ones can be a bit trickier to get working. I suggest starting out with emus like SNES and Megadrive, these are very user friendly and will get you comfortable with the Pandora.

As for best emus, in many cases there isn't a choice, in other cases there are multiple options. It's often not a case of which is better or worse; it can boil entirely down to preference. It's worth trying different things, and it's easy to do so.

Create a /roms folder on your card, with folders inside that for each type of ROM. Go Here: http://apps.open-pandora.org/ ...and grab every emulator that looks interesting. Put them all on your card. And get testing. :) Finding what works for you is part of the fun.

(Ninja'd by Mario, no matter!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, this is something that trips up a lot of new users: http://pandorawiki.org/Pnd#Where_do_.PNDs_Go.3F

When you download an emulator, make sure it goes in the right place on your card so you can run it. ROMs can usually go anywhere.

Last but not least, some emulators will require a bios file. This is copyright code that no one can just give you, you'll need to use Google to figure out how to acquire them.

Good luck.

SDHC

1. I bought a Transcend 32 SDHC but my lap top doesn't accept HC version SD cards - can I insert it in my Pandora and then, connect my Pandora to my computer to transfer files? If so, could I please have some suggestions?

Hi Marco, welcome to the wonderful world of Pandora. :)

I would recommend you buy one of these or something with similar functionality for your laptop, managed to pick one up from pound world myself as my Laptop also does not accept SDHC.

Back