First thoughts from a new owner

Tam Toucan

Still Fresh
Just thought I'd post my thoughts of the first few hours with my new life partner (ordered Oct 2 18:30).

The Bad

Nothing when I plugged it in. No lights, nothing. I figured the battery was completed drained. I had bought a spare, put that in and It's Alive! Turns out it's actually the battery can shift if it gets bumped and it appears dead (which of course happened the first time I showed it to someone. There's me pushing the power switch saying "Err it was on a second agao"). Also, it won't charge from the charger (tried the fuse, but that's all). Works from USB so it's fine.

Had to change my router from WEP Shared to Open to get Wifi to work (shouldn't have been on shared, anyway so that's fine). Had expected that to be a pain, since every other device I've added has been a pain.

The Niggles

Getting stuck in an emulator/game and mashing the keys trying to find how to quit. Pressing the Pandora button often brings up the window BEHIND the game, so that's pain. Still I'll soon learn all the various interfaces.

The Good

Everything else! Exactly how I imagined it. Lovely solid feel, great keyboard, comfortable to hold. Just gorgeous. Not done much other than try something for a few seconds and then move to the next emulator/game/app. Next up is putting the toolchain on and try some development.

Thanks OPT. 955 days of waiting, but worth it!

In regards to "The Niggles", just switch GUI to MiniMenu mode via Pandora button > Switch GUI

Doing this will give you the option to quit any app/emu/game or anything else by pressing the Pandora button, which ultimately kills (in a good way) any program that is currently running.

Just make sure to put all the icons that you want to appear on MiniMenu in the "Mmenu" folder or the "menu" folder if you want the icons to appear on both Desktop and MiniMenu.

(or just put all the icons that you want to appear on the XFCE4 dektop in the "Desktop" folder)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Niggles
Getting stuck in an emulator/game and mashing the keys trying to find how to quit.

I agree with this. I think using spacebar to get to the menu works well but not every game/emulator uses this. I wish this could become a standard.

Back