Firmware Questions

BobBorakovitz

Hardcore Gamer
Website
gameprobe32.blogspot.com
Hello, I'm kinda new, I've had my GP32 for about 2 months now, it's great, however I'm having problems with certain programs, like Fenix games, for example, I can't get BangGP (0.1 or 0.2) to display correctly, I get the screen split into 2 halves (both the left side). Anyway, I'm using the MultiFirmware, because I could keep the original firmware on it. Is there a way to play my bought Pinball Dreams without the original firmware? I'd like to try Slubman's firmware, it's supposed to be better, right? I know you can boot to whatever FXE you want during startup, which is nice... but I don't really want to lose my original firmware if that's all I can play my commercial games on... also, I'm getting another error that looks like a debug screen sometimes, and it's frustrating...
if someone could explain a bit about the firmwares & what I can & cannot do with them, I'd really appreciate it! This is my first question, so go easy on me! :D Thanx!

-BobBorakovitz

You'll be plased to know you can run offical games on slubman's firmware :)

If you can get Slubman's firmware as a .fxe, you can set Pacrom to be your default firmware in multifirmware, then select Slubman's launcher as the Quicklaunch in Pacrom (from options enable quicklaunch, then in the file browser select slubman's fxe with B followed by A). It will now launch automatically every time you start your GP, plus you will still have multifirmware.
You might also want to try woogal's YAFL, I find it is the best file launcher.

thanx for the info, both of you! I still have a few questions...I tried installing Slubman's firmware, and I really like it, I can set any program I want to start automatically, and if there's only 1 FXE installed, it'll boot to it directly when I turn on the GP32. The question is this.... how exactly do I run a GXE file without the original firmware? is that even possible? Slubman's Launcher & Explorer sees the file, but won't launch it. I've done a few searches on Google with no info there either. I may go back to multifirmware and do what Mr Twit just suggested. I like this GPDrive, I don't want to lose it now! :) Also, I still get the problem with BangGP with the split screen, is anyone else experiencing this problem? I'd like to leave it with Slubman's firmware so I quit getting those Debugging errors from multifirmware, if someone could direct me on how to launch a GXE without the original firmware, I'd be happy! :D THX!

-BobBorakovitz

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, I think I've solved the problem...I've switched back to MultiFW, I believe I was using MultiFW2 before which included a couple of debugging utilities in it, that I didn't need. I'll just install slubman's firmware as an FXE, and autoboot it under Pacrom.

I've also found out that PacRom will launch GXE's, and seems to play Pinball Dreams perfectly! ;) But I read it's less compatible than launching it from the original firmware, so I appreciate the original FXE firmware, it may come in handy with the other 2 games I have! :D

Also, fixed the BangGP split-screen issue, I used the newest Fenix runtime from WWII. Thanx for the info on that one!

Thanx to everyone for the help!

-BobBorakovitz

(updated)

I think you put it in the GPECT fole, infact, i think it says where to put it in the readme.

RTFM

Back