Firmware 2.0.0 Next Week!

is this firmware like cramfs in the aspect that it helps to protect the nand by not allowing it to be written to?

Ando posted on May 7 2006 at 10:02 PM said:
is this firmware like cramfs in the aspect that it helps to protect the nand by not allowing it to be written to?
No, it's a normal firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
iignotus posted on May 7 2006 at 11:50 PM said:
gleng posted on May 7 2006 at 06:13 PM said:
Been stuck on the "Formatting" screen for about 15 minutes now.... :huh:
It doesn't take that long. Reboot with Select+Start. If that doesn't work, use a different card.
Tried it twice, leaving it for about half an hour both times. It updates the firmware, does the patching part, but then never gets past the formatting bit. I don't have another card to try it with, but this one has always worked for previous updates.

Edit: I've brought it in to work with me today, so I can keep trying to get it to work. If I start it up now while holding start+select, it gets to the "formatting" screen and stops there. If I start it without holding start+select, it gets to the green "loading" screen and hangs.

What's the "formatting" stage actually doing?

OK, after reading the unbricking guide, I've come to the following conclusions. When switching it on without an SD card in:

1) I'm getting the black screen with the GP2X logo and the gay jingle, so u-boot is fine.

2) It's getting as far as the green loading screen, so the kernel is fine.

3) It's not reaching the main menu screen, so it looks like the root filesystem is trashed.

I'm trying the update again, and my GP2X is currently sitting at the "formatting" screen here at work, so I'll leave it for an hour or so and see what happens. Wish me luck.

EDIT: Still no joy. I'm trying again now, and I'll leave it running until I go home from work. If that doesn't work, then I'll pay a visit to Maplin and build a serial cable so I can find out what's going on. At least u-boot and the kernel are working. If all else fails, then I'll get it professionally unbricked. :)

ok, trying to upgrade firmware, and starting to get a little irate now:

- SD card is reformatted as FAT32
- all firmware files copied to root, with no other files on the card
- currently on v1.0, attempting to upgrade to v2.0 (yeah, didn't bother with the intermediate ones)
- using a Integral 1GB card, which is on the 'compatible' list.

all that happens is that the firmware update is completely ignored, the files gp2xkernel.img and gp2xboot.img have been removed, and the GP2X boots into the v1.0 orange menu as normal, without batting an eyelid!

huh?

well if anyone has any ideas for me to try, feel free to suggest something.

It sounds like a classic case of an incompatible SD card. Your version of uboot doesn't play nicely with your SD card and so the update never goes through.

Unfortunately the only way to update uboot is via SD card or jtag. Try scrounging a loan of a different SD card off a mate with a digital camera.

gleng posted on May 8 2006 at 11:06 AM said:
OK, after reading the unbricking guide, I've come to the following conclusions. When switching it on without an SD card in:

1) I'm getting the black screen with the GP2X logo and the gay jingle, so u-boot is fine.

2) It's getting as far as the green loading screen, so the kernel is fine.

3) It's not reaching the main menu screen, so it looks like the root filesystem is trashed.

I'm trying the update again, and my GP2X is currently sitting at the "formatting" screen here at work, so I'll leave it for an hour or so and see what happens. Wish me luck.

EDIT: Still no joy. I'm trying again now, and I'll leave it running until I go home from work. If that doesn't work, then I'll pay a visit to Maplin and build a serial cable so I can find out what's going on. At least u-boot and the kernel are working. If all else fails, then I'll get it professionally unbricked. :)
Once the the update has done the different bits remove them so you only have the non updated bits on your SD. Then if that doesnt work, I don't know hwy it would but it reduces your chances of accidently trashing the Uboot!!!! Get a different SD card. I find my 1GB samsung works well.

FluffyPanda posted on May 8 2006 at 02:27 PM said:
It sounds like a classic case of an incompatible SD card. Your version of uboot doesn't play nicely with your SD card and so the update never goes through.

Unfortunately the only way to update uboot is via SD card or jtag. Try scrounging a loan of a different SD card off a mate with a digital camera.
yeah I think so too - I tried the card from my camera (256Mb Kingston Elite Pro), and still nothing. doh!

So as a last resort, I upgraded to 1.4 using the hacked upgrader, which went ok. Out of interest, the upgrade to 2.0 still didn't work from 1.4, so It probably didn't have anything to do with the fact that I was originally attempting from v1.0

Only thing left to try :- find some more SD cards.

The thing is, it's the UBOOT that performs the upgrade and the alternate updater can't update that.

It leaves you kind of screwed basically since in order to fix the bug you need a card that isn't affected by the bug!

I traded a 1 gig card for a 256 meg one that I found worked for the upgrades. Hopefully I won't have any future problems.

It seems like the problems I've always had. I have not been able to update my firmware normally ever. Robsters NAND check utility claims there is something wrong in NANDwriteblock 14 or something. Art tells me that that one might be the one causing my problems booting from SD cards (I've tried many).
So far I've been able to update using robster's updaters, but apparently that's not possible for 2.0.
If I find the time, I guess I'll try jtag. If I feel like splurging, I'll send my perfectly working 1.4.0 system in for "debricking" just to get 2.0.0 installed <_<
(who does that btw?)

Back