Release FireFox is cool, but what about Fennec?

Vitel

Website
vminko.org
Is Pandora's performance enough for Fennec?
I know that it's not finished yet, but I don't believe that it will be significantly optimized.
I tried it on Nokia N810 (OMAP2). Fennec was extremely slow, especially zomming and scrolling.

Oh wow, someone actually made a "mobile" port of Firefox? I'm sorry, but I personally think that to be crazy; Firefox is a beast and it hardly has a place on mobile devices. I'd much rather see mobile/Pandora ports of Chromium.

Also, to answer your question, if Fennec is just an interface change of Firefox then it should run just as fine as Firefox does on the Pandora.

Skofo said:
Oh wow, someone actually made a "mobile" port of Firefox? I'm sorry, but I personally think that to be crazy; Firefox is a beast and it hardly has a place on mobile devices. I'd much rather see mobile/Pandora ports of Chromium.

Also, to answer your question, if Fennec is just an interface change of Firefox then it should run just as fine as Firefox does on the Pandora.
Firefox doesn't zoom everything unless you tell it too. Fennec tries to fit the page on the screen, which means slowdown!

But if we're lucky someone will optimize it. ^_^

I doubt Chromium would be hugely faster when zooming. Isn't its speed in the javascript department?

Since Fennec is designed for the Nokia tablets, which is based around an earlier 400mhz version of the OMAP (but otherwise has specs that match the Pandora quite closely), there is no reason at all that this shouldn't work perfectly on the Pandora

If I have time, I'll try to do a simple browser based on webkit and Qt's opengl es accelerated graphicsview, so it gets iphone-like zooming feature. I can't promise anything, though, but I think it's possible.

efegea said:
If I have time, I'll try to do a simple browser based on webkit and Qt's opengl es accelerated graphicsview, so it gets iphone-like zooming feature. I can't promise anything, though, but I think it's possible.
There's a KPart for WebKit ("webkitkde"), so you can just make a normal KPart viewer (à la the Konqueror frontend, or Kate, etc) and you're done.
Otherwise, look at Arora, or just plain Konqueror+the KPart mentioned. Good stuff.

BTW: You tend to really like duplicating a lot of work, don't you? Look around in the open-source world first to see if your application already exists before making a new one ;)

I don't own an N810, so I could only test the PC-build, but Fennec made a big leap in terms of speed between the last versions. Given some time, I'm pretty sure it will be a great alternative to the full Firefox on the Pandora.

dflemstr said:
efegea said:
There's a KPart for WebKit ("webkitkde"), so you can just make a normal KPart viewer (à la the Konqueror frontend, or Kate, etc) and you're done.
Otherwise, look at Arora, or just plain Konqueror+the KPart mentioned. Good stuff.

BTW: You tend to really like duplicating a lot of work, don't you? Look around in the open-source world first to see if your application already exists before making a new one ;)

I don't know about any open source browser with the zooming feature I plan to implement, neither one based on graphics view using opengl es acceleration, so I don't know what work I'm duplicating.

Fennec would be cool on the Pandora, but isn't the only release so far a v0.1 dev build?

I like the idea of finger scrolling, but I have a feeling I'd just used the nub mapped to scroll in a browser...

Back