Finding Mame Roms

HungryWolf

Still Fresh
First, just to set things straight, I'm not asking on where to find roms. I'm just confused because I could only find one ROM that actually worked with the MAME emulator. I've been trying to look for a Golden Axe ROM, and while I found a ton of them, non of them worked. I don't understand. Is there something I'm not doing right, like not looking for that I'm supposed to? I know that the ROMs are supposed to be the .34 version or whatever, but how do I differentiate one version between another?

MIGHT want to rename the topic if you can to

"Finding MAME rom compatibility" or "Rom compatible with MAME" or something next time.
I hope you find an answer, and I sure hope you searched the forum first.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried it and I think I just have crappy roms because all the ones I've tried all seem to be missing files that are needed.

just for explanatory reasons. There are a lot of different versions of roms for one game in a lot of cases. This doesn`t have anything to do with the version number (0.34) which just shows which version of mame fully supports this romset. You must understand that a rom set is built from different rom images that are inside the zip file because they all contain a different chip on the original game`s pcb. Now there are some pcbs which have different chip data on them, for example because of regionalization issues like language or violence etc. So the romsets are usually split and you might just have a few sets that are not meant to be emulated on their own but instead meant to replace certain files in another romset to play the game with different version features (maybe you prefer japanese or you like the title screen of the prototype better then the release title screen... blah). The romsets are split so you can have the original romset in one version but you can alter the romset that actually gets emulated without having to have the same files included in alot of archives at the same time to save disk space... I hope I could make this clear. If any of this is false information or I got something mixed up, please correct me.

Back