Finding 2D Artwork

Individual tastes go for different things, some prefer 3D, others prefer 2D. It's a fallacy to say that all of one style or another are universally "Ugly" or "Beautiful", it's better to acknowledge your own tastes.

That being the case, the choice of 2D or 3D is an artistic one that shapes the kind of art that they are trying to produce. A choice of 3D or 2D art can greatly affect the kind of imagery and feeling the game portrays. Sometimes a choice between the two is taken on for technical reasons. Sometimes 3D is rendered in such a way as to look 2D, and other times 2D is rendered to present a faux 3D.

Of course all "3D" is false, given that the image is a flat projection from a screen.

My own feeling is regardless of the number of dimensions, I want to see good execution. Does it look right? do the colors make me want to claw my eyes out? Do perspective lines go the direction they should? Can I readily identify what I'm looking at? (Ohh, look a power up *jumps* *grabs* *Dies*)

I've seen lousy execution in 2D and 3D, I've seen brilliant execution in both as well.

My own $0.02.

My advice is that you hire somebody to 'paint' the backgrounds for you using digital art software, and use those.

Depending if your game works on Pandora, I might be willing to do some graphics for your game (if it's a good game) - Can't really motivate myself to do good graphics if I don't like the game myself... Could you explain what the game is like? I can do 2d pixel art very well, with animations n stuff... Maybe I can try hard and get something along the lines of Metal Slug, but I can do about SNES/NES quality stuff... I also plan on doing a few simple flash/vector games for Pandora (if I can get around to learning action script)
So if you don't mind me going through a learning experience with flash/vector graphics on your game, I think it would be fun to get something whipped up for you.

Back