Final Fantasy VII

You guys just don't have any clue about gaming:
All the titles you named are crap, the real question for (super manly) real gamers is wether Faxanadu (NES) or Final Fantasy LegendAdventure (GB) is the better one (which for me is a hard one) :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahahahahahahahaha, all good~ If you ask me I think there are far too many Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy spin-off games to remember :D

There is both a remake for Final Fantasy Adventure (Sword of Mana on the GBA) and all three Final Fantasy Legends (1 on WSC, 2 and 3 on DS).

I loved the Final Fantasy Legend 1 remake on WSC. Exact same game, but colorful graphics :)

Everyone knows that

Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg

is the best. :p
Agreed^

Chris
Quoted for truth.
+1

I wouldn't even try to compare it to this overhyped FF7.

If they can fix the slightly clunky, badly translated opening to FF7, I might like to play through it again.  It depends, largely, on whether Cloud looks like a girl this time round.

When I think about it, I've never really enjoyed any of the stories of the Squaresoft games I've played, and find most turn-based combat in JRPG to be boring. I've enjoyed Secret Of Mana thanks to the multiplayer co-op and I've enjoyed Live A Live thanks to its mastery of the tropes, including the brilliant reversal in the last part of the game, but that's it. (I haven't played any squaresoft games after the SNES, though).

Meanwhile, I've got fond memories of the SNES Quintet-Enix games like Illusion of Gaia/Time, Terranigma and even Robotrek despites its turn-based battles. I find them to be far superior story-wise, and to have better gameplay mechanics.

I loved FF 4,5,6 and the first half of 7 does anyone have an opinion on FF dimensions? Looks like a promising throwback..

When I think about it, I've never really enjoyed any of the stories of the Squaresoft games I've played, and find most turn-based combat in JRPG to be boring. I've enjoyed Secret Of Mana thanks to the multiplayer co-op and I've enjoyed Live A Live thanks to its mastery of the tropes, including the brilliant reversal in the last part of the game, but that's it. (I haven't played any squaresoft games after the SNES, though).
Have you tried FF6?

Meanwhile, I've got fond memories of the SNES Quintet-Enix games like Illusion of Gaia/Time, Terranigma and even Robotrek despites its turn-based battles. I find them to be far superior story-wise, and to have better gameplay mechanics.
If you like those, you should really play Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia!

I think all of those are superior to every Final Fantasy game but those two are right on top of the list.

Better story by far, not completely linear, best graphics SNES had to offer and excellent real time fighting system in both.

Sadly they never came out in Germany but I played them 15 years later and it was awesome, I'd even recommend those to people who don't like any JRPGs at all.

My list

1. Final fantasy 6

2. Final fantasy 8

3. Final fantasy X

4 .Final fantasy 9

5. Final fantasy 12 IZO (Not plain)    

6. Final fantasy 4

7. Final fantasy 7

I don't know why people went mental for 7. I think it just had good timing and introduced a lot of people to the genre I am guessing, not discounting it but it has nothing on 6 IMO.  

6 needs a remake but I doubt they could do it.  That game was massive 15 playable characters each with their own unique skill sets.  The story was huge and I just doubt they would think it was worthwhile.

Have you tried FF6?

If you like those, you should really play Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia!

I think all of those are superior to every Final Fantasy game but those two are right on top of the list.

Better story by far, not completely linear, best graphics SNES had to offer and excellent real time fighting system in both.

Sadly they never came out in Germany but I played them 15 years later and it was awesome, I'd even recommend those to people who don't like any JRPGs at all.
Yes, I've played FF6. As I wrote earlier, it has some nice scenes, but the story is still very basic and bland, the characters are mostly uninteresting stereotypes and combat is just boooooooring (and there's too much of it, especially useless random encounters). It's also far too long and the twists just made me tired (unlike in Robotrek, which was full of really well executed twists), to the point that I would have preferred it to end 

when the world is destroyed and the girl commits suicide.

Star Ocean was fun indeed. The fighting was much more interesting and while the story in itself was not that much better, it was more engaging and better written. I haven't tried Tales of Phantasia, Thanks for the suggestion!

Back