File types

Dozer

Efram the retarded rabbit
Website
lawrencewithaw.tumblr.com
I know that needs to be installed FPK where the FXE can just be put onto the gp, but i was wondering if there are any pros of one file type over the other. Does one run faster or anything? :blink:

When you install the fpk-file, it automatically decompresses to an .fxe and some more stuff the program needs.
Similar to a Setup.exe in Windows.
You can't run an fpk.

Well, gxb-files are faster than fxe - but only during loading and only because you have to start the Freelauncher first to run an fxe ;)
(or you have PacRom or sth like that, then all files are loaded equally fast)

EvilDragon pretty much summed it up; FPK is a collection of files like a ZIP. FXE is the 'EXE' program.

However ED I think you mean GXE is faster than FXE for that reason, as GXE programs show up in the 'Game' menu. Both FXE and GXB require loaders of their own.

Ah, so the GXE file is the original exe, FXE is a compressed GXE file with stuff like meta datas (icon, name), and FPK is an even more archive type. GXB is AFAIK a compressed GXE file (like FXE) but without the meta datas?

Am I right with that?

But, however, as it has different loading speeds, I don't think the actual running speed is different, right?

No, Evil_Cartman has got it wrong. You can see all the filetypes explained at devrs.com/gp32

GXB - This is a GP32 program, generic. It can be run by Wind-ups or the GXB loader. Not compressed.

GXC - This is a GXB with an encrypted hash so it only runs on one SMC/GP32 unit. It doesn't includes icon and name (read on). Not compressed. Shows up in GAME menu.

GXE - This is the icon and name for a GXC. Unlike the FXE, commercial games have info and actual program code separated.

FXE - also known as Free GXE - A GXB with icon and name. It is NOT compressed by default, but mr_spiv's program 'b2fxeC' can generate compressed FXEs. Shows up in Free Launcher.

FPK - Cannot be loaded by GP32! You must File -> Install them from PC-Link, and then the PC-Link will send an FXE plus some images/sounds/whatever to the GP32.

ZPK - An FPK with encrypted hash so, like GXE, it only runs on SMC/GP32.

They all take pretty much the same time to load, except for compressed FXEs which need to be uncompressed first, but the time taken is very small. Edit - in theory, FXEs take a tiny bit longer as they are 'scrambled' with a weak encryption, but again, it's nothing.

- Rico

p.s. adding to FAQ

Back