Fight Back Against Spammers

wrong forum, how long until its moved, PLACE BETS NOW!!!

As for the topic, i hate spam and anything to eliminate it is fine by me.

Please shift this to the right forum, whoever is responsible for such housekeeping duties, and also accept my humble apologies... I've read that a good few spammer sites have been knocked off the net due to this prog. Nice.

i have my mail through yahoo. i have accounts i never use and i get all kinds of spam mail. I'm pretty sure Yahoo sells email accounts to these companies that send spam mail. Thats the only way I can explain how unused accounts get spam.

Yeah that would make sense, although thats pretty unscrupulous and irresponsible of companies as large as Yahoo if its true. Shame on them.

P.s. thanks whoever moved this! ;)

if this is the lycos thing it seems fundementally flawed.

from my rudimental knowledge of spamming and its seedy underbelly, don't spammers make heavy use of compromised computers and there email addresses?

Surely when lycos bombards these addresses with spam they could just be getting innocent people who aren't fully up to date on their anti-virus software?

No, it doesn't directly hit the computers of people who have been compromised, it targets the websites of known spammers from a large verified list. It means essentially (from what i can tell) that there will be no point in them sending spam because they won't be able to sell anything from their websites, the sites that their spam points to, and they'll be too busy trying to cough up the cash to pay for the massive increase in bandwidth usage.

Yeah, what a great idea. It would make it SO easy to punish people you don't like. Just spam the whole net with mails pointing to his/her website, et voila - DDoS.
This idea is so goddamn idiotic... Lycos should be ashamed of themselves. Internet lynch justice doesn't work out, and it never will.
Jesus, business IS killing the internet...

Plus it will create a LOT of IP traffic, slowing the internet down as a whole...

THANKS LYCOS!

He said the screensaver had been carefully written to ensure that the amount of traffic it generated from each user did not overload the web.

"Every single user will contribute three to four megabytes per day," he said, "about one MP3 file."

But, he said, if enough people sign up spamming websites could be force to pay for gigabytes of traffic every single day.
OK.. let me get this straight... it WON'T slow the web down because each user will only need 4MB a day... but they want thousands of people to sign up to make it work...

so 4000 x 10 is not the same as 4 x 10000... riiiiight... these people are so fucking stupid it pains me to think how they even got jobs. Oh yeah, because they're computer science geeks. Failed ones at that...

There's some good (although VERY underhanded) ideas in there...But there
is no way in HELL to stop spam ever. You can prevent it by not giving out your
e-mail to places in the first place. But then there's always the 133T ones that
brute force hack out e-mail addresses. So the best thing people can do is delete
it and don't make a big deal out of it.

EDIT: I'm happy Bill Gates gets spam. He probably doesn't even bother
to read (or have someone else read) his e-mail anymore anyway.

Hmm, i agree in essence with what your all saying. Its just that spam annoys me so much, i really want to see something genuinely effective hit back at them!

Back