Fgb32 Savestates

Protoss

Website
eatsleepgame.com
Yea I know I made a topic about the saves for fGB32 but this is about some problems I've had. I was playing Pokemon Crystal, and I was almost complete with the game, when I decided to goto sleep, so I saved and turned off the GP. When I woke up today, the save was totally gone. It's still in the SAV folder, but the emu doesn't recognize it! Anyone have this problem? Even the savestate inside the game is gone!

I had this shock a few months ago on Pokemon Crystal too.

I had added more roms after saving.....

If you added more roms after you saved fGB32 seems to mix them up.
I think it organises the saves by the position of the rom in the rom list.

However, if you try loading each rom in your list, then loading the savestate no# u were using for your Pokemon Crystal, you should find it will load up.... if that makes sense.

It worked for me anyway!

Well, say u had 2 games on your rom list, and Pokemon had been number 2.
You added a new game that went into the list at 1.
Pokemon is now 3rd on the list, but if u load the 2nd game, then go to the load/save menu, and load, it should open up your pokemon save in pokemon.

Only reason I know it works is that I did the same thing, (playing pokemon crystal aswell by coincidence).
After giving up on getting my saves back, I was playing whatever game had taken pokemon's earlier place in the list, and happened to load save state 2 instead of 1 by accident.... hey presto Pokemon started up back where I had made a 2nd savestate.

Hmmmmm, mine just worked straight off, then after I saved it again it was in the right place.

I'm guessing if u delete roms from your list so Pokemon is in that space it should work.

.... or rename your pokemon rom so it is in that slot

Alright, I can fix this for you. I had the same problem and figured it out on my own, then emailed ryleh and asked him specifically.

Note, this is VERY easy to do through windups.

Edit: You can do this with either the .ST0,.ST1 ect files or the SRM files. .ST0 ect is the save state, SRM is the SAVE file itself.

What you do is make a NEW folder and move the SAV files to that directory. COPY PASTE. DO NOT DELETE THEM. Once you have confirmed they are both in the NEW folder and in the SAV folder, then you delete ALL the saves from the SAV folder.

Now all your saves are in the NEW folder.

Now, go into Pokemon or whatever game in question and save a state. It will create that state in the SAV folder. That ID number on the newly created state is the ID number for that game. WRITE IT DOWN.

Now delete the new save from the SAV folder.

Next, take ONE save out of the NEW folder and COPY it back to the SAV folder. Now you have one copy in NEW and one copy in SAV. Rename the save state in the SAV folder to the new ID number that you wrote down.

Load that state.

If it does not work, delete it out of the SAV folder and move to the next save state.

Repeat. (COPY, RENAME, LOAD) until it loads your state. Do it for each game you need to restore the states to. I highly suggest that you complete each game one at time before you add more roms. I know it's tedious but he told me the next release will fix this. Probably name each save with the name of the rom, so that you can make this much easier.

However if you are going to add more roms, and want to avoid this, then you have to make sure that you find out what state goes to what game, and MOVE each state and RENAME it for backup purposes, then do this process after you have added more roms.

Don't worry, don't panic. I just hope that nobody has dumped saves because of this. I hope this helps.

~Steve

you can speed up this try and error method by looking at the size of the savefile. first try out all existing saves that have the size of the "new" save file.

Back