Few Questions I Need Answers Too

spyke

Still Fresh
Okay guys, im new to the GP32, it was reccomended to me by someone and i may concider buying it for my birthday. The only problem is I have a few questions about it which i would like to know the answers to before even concidering the purchace what seems to be a wounder-handheld..

1. Can the GP32 emulate the SNES?
I heared somewhere that it cant :eek: some of my favorite games are on the snes such as donkey kong etc and id love to be able to play them.

2. The GP32 Is OS Based?
I heared somewhere that the GP32 runs of a similar operating system to windows and that it can be changed, does this mean i can change it to something like windows XP or Linux?

3. If Its OS Based Can It Load Programs?
If the GP32 runs of an operating system does this mean you can load programs such as notepad etc.

4. Will there ever be 3D graphics on the GP32?
I'd love to see a PSone and N64 emulator on the GP32, i would like to know if this is possible and weather it will ever be done.

5. The GP32 is Koreean?
I heard you can only get koreean software and games is this true?

6. What is the most amazing thing (in your opinion) about the GP32 except emulation?
Just outta curiosity.

Thanks For Your Time.
Spyke.

Hi
maybe you can fing better answer in the FAQ (Im not sure)
1:Yes it can : Using openSNES0.2 you can reach fullspeed if you can clock @ 166MHz
2:The GP32 is usind its own firmware to work (some alternatives FW (Mr Spiv, Aquafish, Pacrom....) are available
Maybe the GP32 will be able to boot linux but do not expect, fortunally, any Microsoft things on it :)
3:cf 2
4:pSX is maybe on the way but you can forget the N64 (emulating a 64bits with a 32bits handheld is IMPOSSIBLE)
btw : no 3d hardware inside the GP32
5:No (in fact yes for commercial games) but a big part of homebrew games are in english
6:DivX, MP3, WMA, OGG......

see you :lol:

1. Yes, not fullspeed (almost) and the speed depends on how fast you can overclock to.
2. The gp32 can only run programs comiled for the gp32.
3. No, although there are similar programs developed for the gp32.
4. Possible (maybe) but unlikely, ive heard something about a ps1 emu but it would be slow and because of ram limitations wouldnt be amazing.
5. ATM all commercial stuff is in Korean (i think) and with homebrew stuff it depends where its developed.
6. I like listening to mp3s and storing files on the smc is neat ^_^

beat me dammit ><

There is a gpLinux project, but there isn't much point in it until the situation with the chatboards (keyboard for gp32) gets sorted.

Anyway, it's a gaming system, if you want notepad, get a PDA :)

the most amazing thing in my opinion is the ability to play movies. GPcinema, the program for watching movies, will be free soon so you wont have to pay a extra penny :lol:

ive actually been put off by a mate, he said the GP32 is absolute crap, the SNES emulators a real slow like a 0.2ghz pc and its generally shit.

gimme his address and Ill rally a crew to go round there. Of course it gonna run like 0.2 gHz, coz thats wot it is. any way, its optimized and if u dont mind not having sound most games run perfect

Does he have a GP32 now in the last 1-2 months, OpenSnes9x was released, and that was a revalation in how fast the GP32 could emulate SNES.... Mabye 2x faster than the last SNES emu there was :D With lots more features.... :p

yes the SNES enu is very good now, but there are only 6 buttons on the GP32 compared to 8 on the SNES - makes it hard to play games like chrono trigger

Well i dunno im confused.

Does anyone have a video camera and could film a snes rom in action on the gp32?

A Lot of roms run at full speed without sound at FS 1-3 at around 156 mhz (a lot of people can OC to this state), and also, in the next version Yoyo plans on implementing the ASM CPU CORE, which will increase speed by 2x.

I took a video from my digital camera. It looks pretty bad my video, my GP keeps on moving. It is a quicktime movie, if you want it I'll see if I can find it on my computer.

I tried playing SNES Zool without sound and it was too fast to control. And this is before the ASM core implementation in the next version.

My GP32 OC's to 156 in most apps but only 150 in OpenSnes9x, and I havent found a single game that was playable speed at 2 frameskip (3 or higher starts to look very choppy) This is from my personal experiance, and may be differernt from you. This was testing a total of 30+ snes games (all the games in my collection). At the very lowest possible settings with lowest sound...

I hope that with the ASM core this will change, but for now, unless your GP32 can OC to 166, if SNES or Genesis is your reason for the system, my opinion is, dont bother.

But the GP32 can emulate GB, GBC, NES, SMS, GG, PCEngine, etc... all with full sound and speed (if a little glitchy at times), and has a great homebrewn / 3rd party development scene. So its still worth buying, so I highly suggest it, but not if SNES emulation is all you want it for.

BaDToaD posted on Mar 27 2004 at 07:29 PM said:
For info on SNES compatability check out the Opensnes9x fully playable (with/sound) compatibilty list pinned in the general forum.
If you mean
http://thaworx.co.uk/genemu/index.php?emu=4

That list isnt very accurate and it doesnt even mention CPU speeds, or if sound was on or off, or whatframe skip was used, or any such VITAL information. (some do in the descriptions, but not very many and they are not too accurate)

If you want a list that is more accurate and more descriptive (the list has ratings for all common speeds, with and without sound etc...) then use this list: (this list is directly linked to on the os9xgp website)

http://www.gp32spain.com/e_opensnes.php

I find that list to be much better. Clearer and more accurate. (although its smaller) You can see, just by looking at the list itself, the ratings for the 3 common CPU speeds, what frameskip was used, if sound was on, off, or in sim mode, etc...

I wish someone would make that list bigger :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back