Few Gp2x Related Questions.

EmpirioN

Still Fresh
Hello all! :)

I am new in these forums.

I bought my GP2X MK.I a month ago.
It was pretty hard choise for me, because used PSPs are only about 100€.

But I haven't regret my decision buying GP2X!

It is wonderful little machine with big abilities for it's size. :)
Specially I was amazed when subtitles worked in my movies (even Ä and Ö - letters, thx mp2x! :) )

But anyway, few questions:

One weird thing about this particular GP2X is, that there is a HAIR in between the LCD and the plastic cover.
Yep! :blink: It is not on the center of the screen or anything, but it annoys me sometimes.
So I want to remove it if possible.
So my question is:
how to dismantle my GP2X without destroying anything?
Probably the best way to remove the hair is to open the screws on the back and continue from there.

I tried to search dismantle instructions from here and from google, but no success. :(

2. Is my GP2X first or the second edition?

From GP2XWiki:

"Second Edition Mark 1
The battery and power lights are covered over with white and the 'First Edition' text is removed from the console." <-------This is all true with my GP2X, covered LEDs and no text.
BUT..

"The USB / DC Rubber cover on the FE has two parts sticking out. One should go into the DC port, the other one into the USB port. As this never worked very well, GPH simply sliced off the DC one for all further editions." <---- I have only one rubber cover covering both ports...Which seems to make my GP2X a FIRST edition version...? :blink: :huh:

Or have I just got it all wrong.. :rolleyes: (which is not impossible at all, because of my poor english skill)

My GP2X: http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/8246/pict0744ar3.jpg

3. What is the "best" NES emulator, which works from ANY DIR on the SD card? I have used the NES2X, but it is a little slow and my favourite games (Double Dragon 1-3) do not work well in it. :(

------

BTW, why this forum does not accept hotmail.com - email addresses? I had a real pain to get registered here. :huh: :D

But anyway..

Thank you for your time and help! :)

And from this great GP2X site and forum! :) :)

1. Someone else better qualified could answer that, as I have no clue.

2. When you bought it a month ago did you buy a new one or a used one? Because if it was new, then it most definitely is a MK2. Also I believe only MK2's have Korean writing on the back sticker of the handheld, while MK1's have English writing. Lastly, the joystick on your GP2X in the picture is from an MK2, though that could've been switched if you didn't buy yours new.

3. Best NES emulator is by far: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=37096&st=0

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The GP2X doesn't have a lot of loose components, and is very easy to dismantle and put back. When you unscrew the back 4 screws (Can be very tight) You can take off the back plastic and reveal the back of the circuit board. There are another screws that hold the circuit board to the front case, so remove them and I believe you should be OK.

2. That GP2X is so shiny I believe it's new? Looks like it's an MK2, if you bought it new it is definitely an MK2. If the sticker back has korean writings then it's MK2.

3. GPFCE is the one and only good NES emulator for GP2X.

EDIT:
howtotellyourmamadx2.png

Miika said:
1. The GP2X doesn't have a lot of loose components, and is very easy to dismantle and put back. When you unscrew the back 4 screws (Can be very tight) You can take off the back plastic and reveal the back of the circuit board. There are another screws that hold the circuit board to the front case, so remove them and I believe you should be OK.

2. That GP2X is so shiny I believe it's new? Looks like it's an MK2, if you bought it new it is definitely an MK2. If the sticker back has korean writings then it's MK2.

Thank you very much for the good answers! :)

Problem solved, hair removed! :)

For anyone attempting to dismantle (and mantle!) your GP2X:

Four screws in the back, yes, were pretty tight. Remove the back plastic and after that the side plastic. Carefully. After that the circuit board should come out easily, just lift it on the otherside and then pull GENTLY. I remeber the LCD "cabel", it is of course, attached to the circuit board. After that you can see the LCD, very small screwdriver will let you to remove the LCD- There is small "clips" on the edges of the LCD screen, when you unlock those the screen will come out.

I am not total noob with electronics, but I will suggest, that if you do NOT have patience and skill, DO NOT open your GP2X. Atleast the mantle process requires those. I must admit that few times my screwdriver had a free flight across the room. :D

And dust is going to be a problem when messing with the LCD screen and screen cover. DO NOT touch either of them with anything metallic. And not with your fingers either. (othervise scratches and stains will occur :p )

But don't get me wrong, it is not difficult process. I could dismantle and put back together my GP2X now perhaps in 15-20mins. :)

Oh and my GP2X seems to be MK1...Because of the text. :blink:

Some pictures about the process: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1017/gp...srojektizr9.jpg

EmpirioN said:
Miika said:

Thank you very much for the good answers! :)

Problem solved, hair removed! :)

For anyone attempting to dismantle (and mantle!) your GP2X:

Four screws in the back, yes, were pretty tight. Remove the back plastic and after that the side plastic. Carefully. After that the circuit board should come out easily, just lift it on the otherside and then pull GENTLY. I remeber the LCD "cabel", it is of course, attached to the circuit board. After that you can see the LCD, very small screwdriver will let you to remove the LCD- There is small "clips" on the edges of the LCD screen, when you unlock those the screen will come out.

I am not total noob with electronics, but I will suggest, that if you do NOT have patience and skill, DO NOT open your GP2X. Atleast the mantle process requires those. I must admit that few times my screwdriver had a free flight across the room. :D

And dust is going to be a problem when messing with the LCD screen and screen cover. DO NOT touch either of them with anything metallic. And not with your fingers either. (othervise scratches and stains will occur :p )

But don't get me wrong, it is not difficult process. I could dismantle and put back together my GP2X now perhaps in 15-20mins. :)

Oh and my GP2X seems to be MK1...Because of the text. :blink:

Some pictures about the process: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1017/gp...srojektizr9.jpg

I just managed to get my MK2 GP2X dismantled to clean up a spot on my lcd
Some differences from the Mk1 described above:

1. After removing the 4 screws at the back and removing the back cover, there is an additional screw on the circuit board itself - remove it.
2. Remove the side plastic piece as specified above. Be careful of the power switch and do not allow it to stress the actual switch which it is connected to.
3. Remember to pull out the joystick from the front panel.
4. Remove the plastic shoulder buttons.
5. The circuit board is held by 4 black plastic rods attached to the case. You have to move the circuit board up so that the rods are not in contact with the board and then you can remove the board carefully from the case.
6. Remove the LCD cable carefully. The LCD cable is attached to a white and brown connector box on the circuit board. The brown part is a hinge which can flip up to remove the LCD cable.
7. The LCD panel is held by 8 nubs ("Clips"), two at each corner. I inserted two small screwdrivers at the same corner so that both nubs are free simultaneously and the lcd panel will be lifted slightly. Repeat this at another corner and the LCD panel will come free.

That's it - clean it up :)

Back