GP2X Fenix For Gp2x

jimb

Still Fresh
Any news on whether Fenix will become available for GP2X?

I've had a play with Fenix (via Flamebird 2) on the PC and it seems fairly easy to get along with.

Other than that, how difficult is SDL to use? I've only really used programming languages such as Blitz3D/BlitzMax because of their 'pick up and code' approach.

I too code with Blitz3D and BlitzMax, but unfortunately none of them will work with GP2X. Anyway if Fenix can code for the GP32, I'd see no reason that it wouldn't work with the GP2X. Then again don't quote me on that because I'm no expert lol. If you want a pick up and use software though, you should seriously consider trying out Multimedia Fusion (www.clickteam.com). Its an extremely powerful software and is easy to use, no coding required. Also the vice president of the company, Jeff Vance, told me that this software may be compatible with the GP2X around January or February, but nothing is really carved in stone yet. Hope this helps.

It`s highly like that a Fenix runtime gets ported to the gp2x, I remember Chui saying something like this :) Or at least I hope it is :D

I asked on the Blitz forum whether its possible to compile for Arm9 via the Linux version of BlitzMax. Simon Armstrong (one of the developers) replied:

"No, the core of BlitzMax is bcc which compiles .bmx files into .s assembler files, currently only IA32 (Intel) and PPC (Power PC) are supported targets - no ARM yet."

"GCC is only used to build the C/C++ files that we depend on and to link everything together."

The only downside of using Fenix is the fact that its runtime and not compiled.

Do we have any SDL/C experts in the house who are capable of creating a set of wrapper commands/functions like so? ...

Code:
Display 320,240,16
Cls
DrawText "Hello",10,10
DrawText "Press a button to continue..",10,DisplayWidth()-16
Render
WaitButton
End

On GP2X, Fenix should run even faster than on the GP32! Go Chui go! :)

Fenix' main dependency is SDL, which is ported by GPH themselves, so a port should be a matter of recompilation apart from a few specific libraries which might have to be converted to similar ones(ie, sdl_mixer), but Chui did that already so in any way it can't be too hard. :)

Back