Fbpanel

chris_c

As those of you have tried lxde will know the menu doesn't do sub categories for menus like games

This leaves some games in the other menu and a large (on my Pandora!) Games menu - not a disaster and a small price to pay for the increase in performance

However I was looking at other menu's that I could use with the rest of lxde that might be just a light weight but better.

I checked out fbpanel and compiled it, unfortunately it also doesn't seem to support game sub categories - but worse there is no other menu for some it cant place - leaving some pnd's not on any menu :(

Ah well it was worth a try...

A lot of pnds have badly defined categories; quite a shame :) xfce is set up to dump them to Other for instance, and new minimenu does too. I think we're ready to start bugging devs to fix their pnds with proper categories :)

(We see a lot of stuff such as category "Games" instead of "Game", or "Application" instead of "Game"; or "Emulator" as a main category instead of a subcategory, etc. These sorts of things can screw up a lot of menus ..)

You can always run minimenu from xfce, as a launcher if you happen to like how it organizes things. (You can bind a key or menu item to run 'mmwrapper -fmmenu', which will run mmenu; you can edit /etc/pandora/conf/mmenu.conf and turn windowed mode on if you don't want it to grab fullscreen, for instance, as well.

jeff

Atomos -- the latest minimenu will do the ovr edits for you, using the UI, so you don't have to do it by hand. Or if you're a terminal or text editor nerd, then doing it by hand works fine too, as long as you're careful not to hang yourself :)

jeff

@skeezix: Reading your post I find I am probably a text editor nerd ;)

I have once tried minimenu but I didn't like it; so I switched back to XFCE and configure now as much as possible with vim :p

*g* First thing I do on every system is install Emacs (can't stand vi/vim/elvis/etc .. I know enough to use it to set up /etc/resolv.conf so I can suck down emacs ;) ... Emacs is heavy on the meta-keys like control, but works pretty well. vi modal operatoin is somethign I despise in general, but does work well on keyboards like the pandora ...

Still, using mmenu to edit ovr's is handy since at least it'll give you a pick-list of options, so you don't typo something :) But hand making ovr's (or copying from a template etc) works fine of course :)

jeff

skeezix said:
*g* First thing I do on every system is install Emacs (can't stand vi/vim/elvis/etc .. I know enough to use it to set up /etc/resolv.conf so I can suck down emacs ;)
vi-emacs2.jpg

Sorry for the offtopicness, I just couldnt resist :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually does, it's just that the current firmware only specifies the subcategories for xfce (which lxde dutifully ignores as it should).

The easiest fix is probably:

mkdir -p $HOME/Applications/Settings/menus/ && ln -s /etc/xdg/op/menus/xfce-applications.menu $HOME/Applications/Settings/menus/lxde-applications.menu

If it doesn't pick up the new menu layout right away you can simply re-add the menu panel applet (or relogon).

Back